The Road To The NCAA Tournament [Men's Basketball]

Yeah no kidding where were those 19 boards vs JSU when West snatched his customary 10 a game.This guy must be related to Bill Russell somehow.Hey what happened vs Pine Bluff monday night the Golden Lions were hitting (3)s like they were going out of style especially Broughton hitting two in the face of Murray no less and talked to him after he hit them going down the court.Murray scored 34 but if they get into the tournament others must contribute.Murray will get shut down!!!!

My response is on the next page.By the way UAPB started out good playing double teams vs Murray.Scott was the X factor for TSU he must score if they are to be successful for the rest of the season.

Holy smokes Murray grabbed 11 boards vs Alcorn this guy must be on steroids now.

They got hot, but then they cooled off afterwards and Broughton went back to his brick laying shots.

Nelson they put just enough of a scare into your guys hitting those threes.Hey you and the rest of the SWAC better watch Alabama St they might just sneak into the finals pull possible upset????

dal4018 pid=648 dateline=1391029758 said:
Nelson they put just enough of a scare into your guys hitting those threes.Hey you and the rest of the SWAC better watch Alabama St they might just sneak into the finals pull possible upset????
Of course... Broughton was something like 1-12 up until this point so nobody would've guessed we would've started hitting a few shots, especially not back to back to back. His game is outside, but to go from constant bricks to catching fire, I would've played the lottery if I were him in that moment! Luckily for us, he cooled off and any momentum they had was gone.

Nelson I agree I too would have played the lottery if I were Broughton myself.Yes he cooled off at the right time had he not it would have been upset city!!!!

Bulldogs edge Texas Southern 63-62 with a late free throw
NORMAL, Ala.- Alabama A&M edged Texas Southern by a final of 63-62 from the Elmore Gymnasium. Jeremy Crutcher scored the game-winning free throw for AAMU late in the contest.

Alabama A&M led 15-4 on a three pointer by Crutcher, then built a 13-point lead. Texas Southern used a 13-4 run to draw within four points, but Alabama A&M scored five straight and led 36-28 at halftime.

TSU's Aaric Murray got the Tigers to within two points at 62-60 on two free throws in the second half and Madarious Gibbs tied it at 62 on a tip shot with seven seconds to play.

The Bulldogs subsequently drew a foul and hit the second of two free throws for the win. Murray led Texas Southern with 27 points and grabbed nine rebounds.

The Tigers will face Alabama State on Monday in Montgomery in the second game of a three-game road swing.

Box Score: http://www.swac.org//ViewContent.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=27400&CONTENT_ID=869788
Source: TSUBall.com

If anyone can explain exactly what is going on with MBB so far ... please do since I would like to know.  I ran out of excuses and explanations, there's no reason why we shouldn't be 9-0 right now.

-We have the best center in the nation
-A NCAA Finals Coach
-2 Preseason All-SWAC selections (excluding Murray)
-An upgraded Arena and Locker Rooms
-Beat Temple (major DI school)

I'm slowly but surely losing interest in the men season, I'm definitely disappointed.  But the ladies are seemingly thriving .... dimmer of light there.

I can't offer an explanation as to why exactly but I do know shooting % went down in the second half, the offensive style changed between halves, Penn & Scott were sitting most of the game due to injury, & referees went from not calling most fouls in the first half and letting the boys play to calling everything even when we breathed on them.

Tigers lose a close call versus Prairie View
PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas- In the second installment of the Texas Southern versus Prairie View A&M season series the Tigers started the game with a lot of energy on the road.

TSU raced off to a 23-18 advantage at the 11:19 mark of the first half behind several early buckets by center Aaric Murray. Prairie View tied the game at 28 all before Texas Southern regained the lead at 29-28 after a Murray free throw.

D.D Scarver, D'Angelo Scott and Murray spearheaded the Tigers scoring attack in the first half with nine, nine and 10 points respectively. At the 1:51 mark of the first stanza Prairie View took a 40-38 lead on a lay in.

The Panthers stretched the lead to five points at 47-41 after a successful three point basket which would end up being the halftime score.

In the second half the Panthers extended their lead to double digits at 59-49 at the 15:38 mark of the period after two successful free throw attempts. Texas Southern countered with a 11-1 scoring run of its own bringing the score to 60 all after Scarver converted 1-of-2 at the charity stripe.

The next few minutes of action would go back and forth before the Panthers regained a 72-65 lead. The Tigers dug deep and after a three pointer from Scarver TSU trailed by four at 72-68.

Murray went on to get a clutch bucket down the stretch to bring Texas Southern to within a basket at 76-74. On the Panthers next possession a drive and lay in put the lead back at four points. TSU got a big three point basket from Scarver cutting the advantage to 78-77 with 39 seconds left in regulation.

Prairie View got a free throw with 28 seconds left giving the Panthers a two point lead at 79-77. On the Tigers ensuing possession they were unable to get a basket. The Panthers would eventually connect on several free throw attempts bringing the final score to 85-77.

Texas Southern will now get set to face Grambling State at home on Saturday, February 15 at 7:30 pm.

Box Score: http://tsuball.com/boxscore.aspx?id=949&path=mbball
Courtesy: TSU Athletics

tron44 pid=698 dateline=1392064456 said:
i only have one question. Where is the Defense???
Defense has been an issue since Day 1. There have been several times when the defense played well and as a team, but for a majority of the time it's been lacking.

Surprisingly we played man most of this game versus the 2-3 zone. We played better than usual.

PV scored 29 points off of our 17 turnovers and I believe that and poor shooting choices led to our loss rather than Defense this time.

It would've been a 2 point loss, but something happened on the floor and the refs got involved when they should've sucked it up and let it go.

Referees:Forrest Sigler(R),Unice Washington(U1),Mickey Cunningham
Notes:
Technical foul TSU #24 .63 of second half.
#24 was ejected, TSU Coach ejected
0.63 seconds left in the second half turned the 79-77 loss into the 85-77 loss you see. Forrest Sigler has been an issue throughout the past several seasons... I'll just leave it at that.

Nelson pid=701 dateline=1392065683 said:
Defense has been an issue since Day 1. There have been several times when the defense played well and as a team, but for a majority of the time it's been lacking.

Surprisingly we played man most of this game versus the 2-3 zone. We played better than usual.

PV scored 29 points off of our 17 turnovers and I believe that and poor shooting choices led to our loss rather than Defense this time.

It would've been a 2 point loss, but something happened on the floor and the refs got involved when they should've sucked it up and let it go.

0.63 seconds left in the second half turned the 79-77 loss into the 85-77 loss you see. Forrest Sigler has been an issue throughout the past several seasons... I'll just leave it at that.
Still you playing man and let PVAMU shoot 52.5% from the field & 8 of 18 from the 3pt line, not good.

dal4018 pid=714 dateline=1392426290 said:
What style of defense you guys play best Man or Zone????
Man but it's still not producing wins and quality wins at that.  We barely beat one of the worst teams in the conference today with Grambling St. ... at home.  So the saga continues.

They need to try something different though ..... I don't like talking bad about the players but they are grown men and need to accept constructive criticism to improve.  They are still too slow, lacking intensity, and not talking enough. But it's really Mike fault, he recruited them and he's responsible for the team preparation.

If this man to man defense is not working he needs to switch to zone  2-3 3-2 1-3-1 and again what is Murray's problem with getting double digits in rebounds.He needs to take lessons from West this guy gets double doubles in his sleep.It shocked me that PVAM kept him from his customary double double in their win over JSU 53-50.But Murray found other ways to contribute besides scoring with blocks and steals!!!

I saw Southern against Mississippi Valley St. last night on ESPNU.  Their defense was awesome and won the game for them when things got tight. Is it true they can't participate in the conference tournament?

Back