The Road To The NCAA Tournament [Men's Basketball]

TigerFans

Administrator
Staff member
1/4/2014 Alcorn State Houston, TX 5:00 pm W 83-66
1/6/2014 Southern Houston, TX 8:00 pm L 71-79
1/11/2014 Prairie View A&M Houston, TX 7:30 pm W 87-83 (3OT)
1/18/2014 @ Grambling State Grambling, LA 7:30 pm W 74-72
1/20/2014 @ Jackson State Jackson, MS 7:30 pm L 80-84
1/25/2014 Mississippi Valley State Houston, TX 7:30 pm W 94-56
1/27/2014 Arkansas-Pine Bluff Houston, TX 8:00 pm (ESPNU) W 72-71
2/1/2014 @ Alabama A&M Normal, AL 6:00 pm L 62-63
2/3/2014 @ Alabama State Montgomery, AL 7:30 pm L 73-79
2/8/2014 @ Prairie View A&M Prairie View, TX 7:30 pm L 77-85
2/15/2014 Grambling State Houston, TX 7:30 pm W 74-71
2/17/2014 Jackson State Houston, TX 7:30 pm L 73-75
2/22/2014 @ Mississippi Valley State Itta Bena, MS 5:00 pm W 73-65
2/24/2014 @ Arkansas-Pine Bluff Pine Bluff, AR 7:30 pm W 65-55
3/1/2014 Alabama State Houston, TX 7:30 pm W 86-66
3/3/2014 Alabama A&M Houston, TX 7:30 pm W 79-58
3/6/2014 @ Alcorn State Alcorn, MS 7:30 pm W 77-69
3/8/2014 @ Southern Baton Rouge, LA 5:00 pm W 67-64

3/11-15/2014 SWAC Tournament Houston, TX TBA
TOURNAMENT BRACKET: [attachment=94]

3/12/2014 #10 Grambling State @ #2 Texas Southern 12:30 pm W 79-54
3/14/2014 #3 Alabama State @ #2 Texas Southern 2:30 pm W 71-63
3/15/2014 SWAC CHAMPIONSHIP #2 Texas Southern vs #8 Prairie View A&M 3:30pm W 78-73

NCAA TOURNAMENT
3/19/2014 #16 Cal Poly vs #16 Texas Southern Dayton, OH 5:40pm TruTV

Last updated: 3/18/2014

Attachments

• 2656837.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
Texas Southern defeats Alcorn State 83-66
HOUSTON — Aaric Murray scored 26 points and grabbed a team-high 11 rebounds to lead Texas Southern to an 83-66 victory over Alcorn State Saturday night.

Jose Rodriguez added 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Tigers (5-8, 1-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference). Lawrence Johnson-Danner scored 14 points with five rebounds and DeAngelo Scott chipped in with 13 points. The Tigers hit 54 percent from the field and 75 percent from the free-throw line.

Read the rest: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/texas-southern-defeats-alcorn-state-83-66/2014/01/04/276c2566-75b8-11e3-bc6b-712d770c3715_story.html

There's much work to be done by March. I thought by now we'll be rocking and rolling ... I'm not pleased with what I saw after the SU game.  As a basketball (sports) self-proclaim expert, I see many basic fundamentals still missing. Mike get these boys together and while you at it please stop wearing that same ole black striped suit lol ..... I know you have the coin to diversify your wardrobe at Jos A. Bank or at the very least K&G Fashions, I know how much you make sir.  You making TxSU look bad and uh that ain't gon work boss.

Godfrey leads Southern past Texas Southern 79-71
HOUSTON -- Calvin Godfrey scored 27 points and pulled down 10 rebounds to lead Southern University to a 79-71 victory over Texas Southern Monday night.

Malcolm Miller contributed 15 points and Trelun Banks added 10 for Southern (6-9, 2-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference).

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400504632

TXSUDFWTIGER pid=598 dateline=1389071288 said:
There's much work to be done by March. I thought by now we'll be rocking and rolling ... I'm not pleased with what I saw after the SU game.  As a basketball (sports) self-proclaim expert, I see many basic fundamentals still missing. Mike get these boys together and while you at it please stop wearing that same ole black striped suit lol ..... I know you have the coin to diversify your wardrobe at Jos A. Bank or at the very least K&G Fashions, I know how much you make sir.  You making TxSU look bad and uh that ain't gon work boss.
What I saw Monday was problems on the defensive side, No defense in the paint., Godfrey had his way 27 points and Murray got no help.  The lane was a freeway to the basketball. It seems like Defense is being sacrificed for offense. TSU has plenty of guys who can score but no guys to play defense. In 14 games Rodrigeuz who plays the 4 (power forward) has 2 blocks & 4 steals.  Southern defense is what made the difference in that game. They double & triple teamed Murray in the paint and contested everything coming down the lane. TSU 's defense has to get better if they want to be in March Madness!!

Yes Murray played no defense in the paint Godfrey went berserk scoring at will.But then Murray had his way as well scoring 24 pts which is his average vs Godfrey.Murray's problem is rebounding a player of his size should be averaging in double figures not single figures.When they meet JSU West will destroy him on the boards unless he straightens out that part of his game!!!!

Who will be the dark horse candidate to play in the SWAC title game I say Mississippi Valley St saw them play in my backyard (NJ) vs Monmouth University losing 81-79.The Delta Devils also played well in a loss to the University of Washington Huskies 90-85 recently.

tron44 pid=604 dateline=1389194555 said:
What I saw Monday was problems on the defensive side, No defense in the paint., Godfrey had his way 27 points and Murray got no help.  The lane was a freeway to the basketball. It seems like Defense is being sacrificed for offense. TSU has plenty of guys who can score but no guys to play defense. In 14 games Rodrigeuz who plays the 4 (power forward) has 2 blocks & 4 steals.  Southern defense is what made the difference in that game. They double & triple teamed Murray in the paint and contested everything coming down the lane. TSU 's defense has to get better if they want to be in March Madness!!

-Murray barely got help, but he seemed more bent on scoring than anything else.  Right now he's 3rd in the nation so I think that's his priority more so than being a complete (offensive and defensive) player. You know Murray is playing good D when he gets at least 3 to 4 fouls .....

-I thought Rodriguez was the 3.  But either way, what got me is that he misses uncontested free throws and still feels comfortable enough to shoot 3s.  No sir, only person I like shooting 3s are Aaric right now.

-Rebounding is scary. They need to get it together. So many unnecessarily missed rebounds are hurting us. BOX OUT GUYS! EVERYBODY PUT A BODY ON SOMEBODY AND WE WON'T MISS SO MANY ... I LEARNED THAT IN 4TH GRADE.

-TSU's offense didn't seem organized. Basically SU came to play and we didn't ... dudes taking forever to run down the court, not moving their feet, lack of energy, bad ball movement, we can do better (no excuse) etc.

dal4018 pid=607 dateline=1389201776 said:
Yes Murray played no defense in the paint Godfrey went berserk scoring at will.But then Murray had his way as well scoring 24 pts which is his average vs Godfrey.Murray's problem is rebounding a player of his size should be averaging in double figures not single figures.When they meet JSU West will destroy him on the boards unless he straightens out that part of his game!!!!

Who will be the dark horse candidate to play in the SWAC title game I say Mississippi Valley St saw them play in my backyard (NJ) vs Monmouth University losing 81-79.The Delta Devils also played well in a loss to the University of Washington Huskies 90-85 recently.

You know what ... I think the SWAC bball field is more competitive than I anticipated.  These SWAC schools have a few surprises under their sleeves.

But I still am expecting to hear Texas Southern University's name on CBS's March Madness Selection Sunday this year :)

I agree with you TSU FWD Tiger SWAC basketball among the men is very competitive again my pick for a longshot is Mississippi Valley St saw them play in person in my backyard NJ pesky defenders but lost a close one 81-79 to Monmouth University also Alcorn might sneak and surprise ppl as well.Julius Francis at 6-11 255 must play like a NBA prospect if he wants this team to advance!!!!

Tron44 the major area that Murray needs to improve on is rebounding no player of his size 6-10 245 should be averaging under 10 boards a game.He averages between 7-8 boards a game that is unacceptable.Brandon West of JSU who is among the nation's best in this category 11.1 rebs  will eat him alive when they meet 1-13 hope that game is televised.If I were a pro scout that would be a major red flag against him!!!!

The next televised game will be on Jan 27 on ESPNU against UAPB

Tigers close out PVAMU in triple overtime
HOUSTON- In a highly contested game the Texas Southern Tigers got the win in triple overtime against SWAC rival Prairie View A&M at the H&PE Arena Saturday night.

In regulation, the Tigers played well defensively and connected on several timely buckets. The Tigers lead at the half 34-30.

In the second half, The Tigers fought hard in the paint and a key block by Aaron Clayborn with three seconds left, sent the game into overtime.

With the Tigers leading 70-67 with four seconds left on the clock, John Brisco of the Panthers hit a three-pointer to send the game into a second overtime.

The battle raged on with each team trading buckets. With the Tigers having the last possession of the second overtime, D'Aris Scarver was unable covert a shot from beyond the arc as the clock expired sending the game into a third overtime session.

Defensive intensity increased in third overtime period as the Tigers made key rebounds and hit critical free throws while closing out the game with a victory on a final score of 87-83.

Scarver led Texas Southern in scoring with 26 points while Aaric Murray contributed 13 points and 8 eight rebounds to the teams.

The Tigers will go on the road and face SWAC opponents Grambling State and Jackson State Universities respectively before coming home Jan. 25 against Mississippi Valley State 5:00 pm at the H&PE Arena.

Source: http://tsuball.com/news/2014/1/12/MBB_0112140932.aspx

TSU outlasts PV in three overtimes
Few rivalries match the intensity that Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M bring to the court.

On Saturday night, H&PE Arena was home to plenty of fast and furious action, with players crashing the boards and diving for loose balls in a festive atmosphere for the fans.

Things got a little too festive as Prairie View was awarded two free throws on a technical foul called after a fan ran onto the court during a timeout with TSU holding a five-point lead in the final minute of the first overtime.

Read the rest: http://www.chron.com/sports/college-basketball-men/article/TSU-outlasts-PV-in-three-overtimes-5135656.php

Nelson pid=622 dateline=1389627885 said:
Tigers close out PVAMU in triple overtime

Source: http://tsuball.com/news/2014/1/12/MBB_0112140932.aspx

TSU outlasts PV in three overtimes

Read the rest: http://www.chron.com/sports/college-basketball-men/article/TSU-outlasts-PV-in-three-overtimes-5135656.php

I didn't think it'll ever end!! I'm so glad we won b/c the loss would've been a hard blow to the gut for the TSU community.  It never gets boring beating PV, especially since so many think they're so "superior" to TSU .... but only in their heads, not the real world (the loss is a good reminder).  TSU made the Forbes best college list that got national attention, PV had a girl get naked in a PV pond that went viral nation-wide on World Star Hip Hop ... nuff said lol.

Teams I thought we'll roll through is showing up a bit ... I wonder once Mr. Ray Penn is back in the line-up, we will be dominating as expected.  After all, he got talent and potential.  When he's focus and head in the game, I can easily place him among the better college guards in TX.

Last night it was a good game by last night's final score 84-80 but as I said West kept up his dominance over Murray in rebounds 12-8 again Murray should be averaging double figures in his sleep.West put up 19 pts 12 boards in defeat.

Making the Forbes list was that due to Murray's outburst vs Temple I will strongly assume???

dal4018 pid=627 dateline=1390323383 said:
Last night it was a good game by last night's final score 84-80 but as I said West kept up his dominance over Murray in rebounds 12-8 again Murray should be averaging double figures in his sleep.West put up 19 pts 12 boards in defeat.

Making the Forbes list was that due to Murray's outburst vs Temple I will strongly assume???

I just don't know what to say, losing to Jackson St. just kind of got me questioning the whole bball program ... is Mike the right fit? Is recruiting lacking? Why there's no obvious team chemistry? 

This was suppose to be the year of a new era in my mind and I just don't see it.  Hopefully when Penn come back that'll change.

TXSUDFWTIGER pid=628 dateline=1390355856 said:
I just don't know what to say, losing to Jackson St. just kind of got me questioning the whole bball program ... is Mike the right fit? Is recruiting lacking? Why there's no obvious team chemistry? 

This was suppose to be the year of a new era in my mind and I just don't see it.  Hopefully when Penn come back that'll change.
I don't think Mike Davis is a problem. This guy here was a big reason for our success last year: 
Donnie Marsh - http://athletics.tsu.edu/staff.aspx?staff=102
He's as USF now: http://southflorida.scout.com/2/1303216.html

Our defense is lacking. Recruiting seems to be going well as well. As for team chemistry, I just don't know. They appear fine outside the court and chemistry is great, but on the floor it's as if they haven't gelled yet. Scarver , Murray, & Rodriguez are all starters now and they're all in their 1st year for TSU. This is not an excuse though. There are freshman playing their first years for other schools who are contributing well. 

When Penn returns on Saturday (confirmed!) we should be back to 100%, although Gibbs has been playing a heck of a game lately. There is no time for losing.

dal4018 pid=636 dateline=1390768948 said:
What got into Murray he got a career high 19 rebounds vs Mississippi Valley.

We played as a single unit. This is the team that the SWAC, and some of the country, is afraid of. Murray was nearly unstoppable in the paint.

Tigers defeat MVSU in a rout 94-56 behind Murray's 26 points
HOUSTON – The Texas Southern Tigers bounced back from a tough road loss with a resounding 94-56 win over Mississippi Valley State Saturday at the H&PE Arena.

Aaric Murray scored 26 points and hauled in a career-high 19 rebounds as the Tigers improved their conference record while preparing for a pivotal league contest versus Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

TSU (8-10, 4-2) shot 53.7 percent from the field and outrebounded MVSU 48-32. D'Aris Scarver scored 22 points, Madarious Gibbs had 12 and Ray Penn chipped in 10 points in his first game in several weeks not playing the due to injury through the Tigers first five league contest.

MVSU (5-14, 1-5) was held to 20-of-65 shooting (30.8 percent). James Currington paced MVSU with 19 points and seven rebounds, while DeAngelo Priar contributed 10 points.

Texas Southern jumped out to a 7-0 lead and used an 18-5 run to make it 29-13 with 7:18 left in the first half. Scarver and Murray each hit a late jumper to put the Tigers up by 26 at the break.

Texas Southern cruised in the second half, leading by as much as 41 after a jumper by Murray with 4:18 remaining.

"We really played well in all facets of the game," said TSU head coach Mike Davis. "I was really pleased with the way our guys responded tonight. Hopefully we'll be able to carry this momentum into our game with Arkansas-Pine Bluff."

The Tigers will host UAPB live on ESPNU on Monday. Tip-off for the game has been slated for 8:00 pm at the H&PE Arena located on the campus of Texas Southern University.

Source: http://tsuball.com/news/2014/1/26/MBB_0126142908.aspx
Box Score: http://tsuball.com/boxscore.aspx?id=946&path=mbball

Murray scores 34 to lead the Tigers to a win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff
HOUSTON- Aaric Murray scored 34 points, including four of Texas Southern University's final six points to lead TSU past Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 72-71, on Monday at the H&PE Arena.

Madarious Gibbs converted two game-winning free throws with 1:09 remaining to complete Texas Southern's rally as Arkansas-Pine Bluff missed a total of three shots during the closing seconds of the contest. Murray was the lone TSU player to score in double figures for the Tigers en route to another impressive performance this year.

The 6-10 big man played with a high level of determination as he found a variety of ways to score in helping lead Texas Southern to a big win in front of a nationally televised audience as the game was broadcast live on ESPNU.

"Defensivkey I thought we got stops when we had to have them," said TSU head coach Mike Davis. "Aaric really put the team on his shoulders tonight and he was able to score some big buckets at critical points of the game."

Texas Southern will have a few days off before starting a three-game road trip that will kick-off this Saturday in Alabama.

Box Score: http://tsuball.com/boxscore.aspx?id=945&path=mbball
Source: http://tsuball.com/news/2014/1/28/MBB_0128140134.aspx

Here's a replay of the UAPB - TSU game:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/1448901/

Back