2014 Texas Southern Basketball Thread

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
OK you guys this game is within our grasp.  UofA is not a Kentucky and the Pac 12 is the weakest of the traditional power conferences this year so they not all that.

Arizona beat UTEP by 5 points.

UTEP lost to NMSU by 7 points.

We lost to NMSU by 2 points.  See where I'm going with this.

Not sure this game is out of our hands yet. Tex So. is not a North Texas and the SWAC is probably the strongest of the 1 bid conferences. So, you guys are really all that.

Tex So lost to Gonzaga by 40 points.

Arizona beat Gonzaga by 3 points.

See where I'm going with this.

Oh, and your 11 road losses say hi!

Oh btw, assu sucks.

SeanMiller said:
Not sure this game is out of our hands yet. Tex So. is not a North Texas and the SWAC is probably the strongest of the 1 bid conferences. So, you guys are really all that.

Tex So lost to Gonzaga by 40 points.

Arizona beat Gonzaga by 3 points.

See where I'm going with this.

Oh, and your 11 road losses say hi!

Oh btw, assu sucks.
When we played AT Gonzaga we didn't have our full team.  Not only that but we had a WAY tougher schedule than Arizona so we were a bit banged up that week.

Arizona beat Gonzaga in OVERTIME on their HOME COURT with their full team by 3 points you mean.

And the only thing I see is that Arizona fans are dumb as hell .... what the hell is assu?

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
When we played AT Gonzaga we didn't have our full team.  Not only that but we had a WAY tougher schedule than Arizona so we were a bit banged up that week.

Arizona beat Gonzaga in OVERTIME on their HOME COURT with their full team by 3 points you mean.

And the only thing I see is that Arizona fans are dumb as hell .... what the hell is assu?

I think we could have gotten off to a better start had you not tried to use a silly transitive property argument to give yourself some hope this week.

Why not use: they lost at home to sub-100 teams already, why cant we do the same? Why cant we be cinderella this year? Why not us?

Anyways, if you guys want some actual BBall discussion, let me know. I can give you the shakedown of  the Wildcats

SeanMiller said:
I think we could have gotten off to a better start had you not tried to use a silly transitive property argument to give yourself some hope this week.

Why not use: they lost at home to sub-100 teams already, why cant we do the same? Why cant we be cinderella this year? Why not us?

Anyways, if you guys want some actual BBall discussion, let me know. I can give you the shakedown of  the Wildcats

You must not have cable.  Sport analysts use "silly transitive property arguments" all the time to help predict the competitiveness and outcomes of a game.

And I used what I wanted to use.

There's no shakedown needed.  The Wildcats are overrated.  If they get pass the first round, they definitely won't make it to the final four.

It's all how you play that day. Sean Miller can't get it done. Arizona's defense is amazing and they have a lot of height, but that same amazing team lost of Oregon State and UNLV on the road. UA has not lost at home, but they're not at home. It may be Pac 12 country, but it's not Tuscon.

How did UNLV win? Poor shooting, out-rebounded them, second chance points, clogging the lanes to take the charges, foul trouble, and poor FT shooting. UNLV also has good length.
How did Oregon State win? Poor shooting & turnovers.

The coaches know the recipe to get it done, but it's all dependent on how the kids play that day. No doubt Arizona is a good team, but they're not all they're hyped up to be. They're big, they're athletic, they play good defense (they held the Beavers to 34 points in the rematch), but they don't block very much.

Expect TSU to dribble drive and get you guys in foul trouble or leave an open shooter. We know the kids are already looking past this game and that's expected. Box score research isn't going to help much.

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
You must not have cable.  Sport analysts use "silly transitive property arguments" all the time to help predict the competitiveness and outcomes of a game.

And I used what I wanted to use.

There's no shakedown needed.  The Wildcats are overrated.  If they get pass the first round, they definitely won't make it to the final four.

Hopefully your team shows up with its three fans.

Just thank your lucky stars that Southern were a bunch of thugs at the end of your championship game or you wouldn't be running your mouth right now.

But I guess Vegas (-23) and Kenpom (Who gives Coastal Carolina a better chance of advancing than you guys) have no idea what they are talking about and overrate us as well.

Silly mid majors, always puffing out your chest when you should just be humble and happy to play with the big boys.

Nelson said:
It's all how you play that day. Sean Miller can't get it done. Arizona's defense is amazing and they have a lot of height, but that same amazing team lost of Oregon State and UNLV on the road. UA has not lost at home, but they're not at home. It may be Pac 12 country, but it's not Tuscon.

How did UNLV win? Poor shooting, out-rebounded them, second chance points, clogging the lanes to take the charges, foul trouble, and poor FT shooting. UNLV also has good length.
How did Oregon State win? Poor shooting & turnovers.

The coaches know the recipe to get it done, but it's all dependent on how the kids play that day. No doubt Arizona is a good team, but they're not all they're hyped up to be. They're big, they're athletic, they play good defense (they held the Beavers to 34 points in the rematch), but they don't block very much.

Expect TSU to dribble drive and get you guys in foul trouble or leave an open shooter. We know the kids are already looking past this game and that's expected. Box score research isn't going to help much.

UNLV won because we played like crap, it happens to every team. We also had a lot of chemistry issues as well as identity issues at that point. This is a completely different team than the one that lost to UNLV and ntOSU.

No need to block when our defense limits any good shots. Your only hope is to play a Boeheim-zone and hope York isnt hitting shots.

On offense, you will have to play perfectly, because you are not going to get many chances. Do some research into just how good this defense is, hint: it is massive.

Be thankful if you score over 45 in the game is all i'm saying.

SeanMiller said:
Hopefully your team shows up with its three fans.

Just thank your lucky stars that Southern were a bunch of thugs at the end of your championship game or you wouldn't be running your mouth right now.

But I guess Vegas (-23) and Kenpom (Who gives Coastal Carolina a better chance of advancing than you guys) have no idea what they are talking about and overrate us as well.

Silly mid majors, always puffing out your chest when you should just be humble and happy to play with the big boys.

Tell that to Michigan State and Kansas State!  No one thought we could beat them two traditional basketball powers at their home court.  Trust me, Arizona could never beat MSU in Lansing.  And no matter what happens Thursday, the 2014-2015 season was one for the books and established Texas Southern basketball as a program to be reckoned with.

Tiger fans are expecting bigger and better next season.

Just watched the TSU Press conference for the NCAA Tournament... some words from Coach Davis:
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done at Texas Southern, but you have to win."

Talking about next season: "I don't want to play any home games... I want to play Top 25 teams"

Talking about this past season: The Tigers had "11 or 12 non conference televised games" which was a record for the SWAC.

TSU vs UA Watch Party @ 1pm on THURSDAY Hosted by @TigerFans Yard House in City Centre, 800 Sorella Ct, 77024

CAZ_s9RU0AAvacj.png:large

Nelson said:
Just watched the TSU Press conference for the NCAA Tournament... some words from Coach Davis:
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done at Texas Southern, but you have to win."

Talking about next season: "I don't want to play any home games... I want to play Top 25 teams"

Talking about this past season: The Tigers had "11 or 12 non conference televised games" which was a record for the SWAC.

Here's the Houston Chronicle with better coverage than I spit out above: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.houstonchronicle.com%2Fsports%2Farticle%2FThere-s-a-method-to-Texas-Southern-s-madness-6143343.php&ei=s_YJVYOQD8S-ggSgx4HwDQ&usg=AFQjCNFUjM8kv03dOgtIhK6Ehp6fWMCY-w&sig2=mhC0umU9kgK126UxvtNvig

Well we tried ... I liked the effort.  I was rooting to the end.  But I didn't realize how tall and quick Arizona was until today. 

I feel like we would've been a better match up with any of the other #2 seeds. But I enjoyed the 2014-2015 season, we had ups and downs. Can't wait until the next one and the new talent we bring in (the guys are like friends in my head).

But all Texas universities lost.  We're not alone.  I thought for sure SMU and SFA would advance but they didn't either. Kentucky will win it.

I'm sorry that other Arizona poster was a trash talker.  The contentious Arizona message boards environment has spawned some angry trolls, many of whom are outcasts. 

I wish your team luck in the SWAC next year.  Arizona usually plays a SWAC team every other year or so in non conference so I hope we see you again.  I think you could have taken a different 2 seed (Kansas) and definitely some of the 4s.  Texas Southern did more against UA's defense than most Pac schools.

I saw the Mich St game earlier in the year and was impressed.  If Gibbs was a little bigger I think he'd have a future in the league. 

Again, good luck and only respect.

just wanted to say sorry said:
I'm sorry that other Arizona poster was a trash talker.  The contentious Arizona message boards environment has spawned some angry trolls, many of whom are outcasts. 

I wish your team luck in the SWAC next year.  Arizona usually plays a SWAC team every other year or so in non conference so I hope we see you again.  I think you could have taken a different 2 seed (Kansas) and definitely some of the 4s.  Texas Southern did more against UA's defense than most Pac schools.  

I saw the Mich St game earlier in the year and was impressed.  If Gibbs was a little bigger I think he'd have a future in the league. 

Again, good luck and only respect.
I like sports trash talk ... can't speak for any of the other TigerFans.net subscribers. But I'm good at it.

What killed us like I said before was the height and speed of Arizona .... They're similar to Kentucky (the heavy favorite) in that aspect. 

I think what Gibbs is missing in size he makes up in heart.  I don't know if you know this or not but he LED THE NATION in minutes played per game.  That's no ignorable feat.  I'm almost sure he has been invited to some professional tryouts and training camps especially since our men's program got so much positive national publicity (even Texas governor tweeted us good luck).

Good luck to you all as well.  I'll be watching the tourney, I think we will feel a bit better if the team that beat us beats everybody and end up National Champions lol.  I will be definitely watching Arizona.

Back