2014 Texas Southern Basketball Thread

I'm really happy with what I'm seeing so far .... this has to the best men's basketball season.  5 and 0 in the SWAC ...

But I will say this, I thought we would be blowing out teams a bit more in conference play but everyone will play their 110% best against us so the games will always be extra competitive.

We're letting off the gas pedal and letting the teams keep the scores reasonable it seems. The last two games, they've held the ball the final few minutes and did not really score. Seems like part of a larger plan.

23-39 for Free Throws ... we shoulda won.  We were the better team especially considering UAPB small size.

It's hard for me to understand bad free throw shooting teams.  It's an uncontested shot with all the time in the world to make.  Hell I'm like a 85%-90% FT shooter, if I can do it ... surely scholarship college Division I athletes can lol.

I knew we were gonna lose, the mojo seemed off the whole game and we were barely beating teams as of late.  But hopefully this is a wake up call. 

Alabama State is surprisingly the only undefeated team right now but they play Southern Monday ... that'll be a good game I look forward to following. The MVSU game for us should be a blow out, but I knew UAPB was gonna push us and they did.

Biggs was not on the stat sheet for that game... any reason why? He's started practically every other game.

23/39 FT's, previoius two games we averaged about 70% from the charity stripe. We had 1/13 3FG (UAPB was 2/12 ... were they trying to see who could shoot worse from the 3?). Hopefully it's a game they learn from and come back from. Davis is known to be a father figure type coach who will let his kids fall so they can learn from it and I believe in his ability to get things turned around for tonight's game and Alabama State on Saturday.

Nelson said:
23/39 FT's, previoius two games we averaged about 70% from the charity stripe. We had 1/13 3FG (UAPB was 2/12 ... were they trying to see who could shoot worse from the 3?). Hopefully it's a game they learn from and come back from. Davis is known to be a father figure type coach who will let his kids fall so they can learn from it and I believe in his ability to get things turned around for tonight's game and Alabama State on Saturday.
Well we lost b/c Biggs wasn't in, maybe discipline reasons .... but we can kiss that 14 seed good bye.  We shouldn't lose anymore conference games I hope ... all we gotta worry about is SU, ASU, UAPB.  No one else matters.

Will we make it to MARCH MADNESS in 2015 *Fingers Crossed*

Saturday against Alabama State will be a really good test and so will Alabama A&M.

I think many of these guys come in here believing basketball is not being played in the SWAC. The talent level and overall coaching is steadily on the upswing. Coach Davis knows he is a target, now the team needs to realize they are as well. Everybody wants to beat the team in the conference who beat Michigan State and Kansas State and some of them have the talent to do it.

herbert77060 said:
Saturday against Alabama State will be a really good test and so will Alabama A&M.

I think many of these guys come in here believing basketball is not being played in the SWAC. The talent level and overall coaching is steadily on the upswing. Coach Davis knows he is a target, now the team needs to realize they are as well. Everybody wants to beat the team in the conference who beat Michigan State and Kansas State and some of them have the talent to do it.

True which is why I'm not looking forward to tonight .... right now I'm thinking Alabama State is gonna wax our butts.  Biggs I'm sure is still out for who knows why.

Fingers crossed.  I think the ladies have the conference title sealed, the men I don't know.

Gibbs #3 for MVP ... I'm really happy about the progress he's made.  I see a bright future for him pass college.

I will be surprised if he doesn't get Conference Player of the Year

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
Gibbs #3 for MVP ... I'm really happy about the progress he's made.  I see a bright future for him pass college.

I will be surprised if he doesn't get Conference Player of the Year

It was said repeatedly on ESPNU that he has played every single minute of the past 3 games. Iron Man Madarious Gibbs.

Yep, I think I'm about over the regular season for the men.  It's looking bleak again for the remaining schedule ... especially with A&M and Alabama State on the road.  We just are not a complete unit with Biggs gone who I heard actually might be back before the season ends (fingers crossed).  Too many missed free throws, bad shots, and the SWAC teams are on 100 against us .... PV looked really good last night (Just like A&M the Monday before). We play hard but not smart. 

I'm ready for the SWAC tournament, that is what matters most to me anyway.

But shouts out to the lady tigers doing their thing. #1 in the SWAC

Every team in conference has been playing us in the full court, some simply using a zone, while others have been using a press, throwing us off our game, slowing down our transition offense, and causing us to be uncomfortable. It has been working and we have been lucky to win several of the games recently. Our shooting was just as bad as PV's, but our FT's were back down to the 50%'s and we were 3-18 from beyond the arc. Overall, something's gotta change because teams will continue to play us like this as they've seen teams use it with success against us.

+1 to the lady tigers... their SOS is hurting them, but they've gotta win when it matters.

Nelson said:
Every team in conference has been playing us in the full court, some simply using a zone, while others have been using a press, throwing us off our game, slowing down our transition offense, and causing us to be uncomfortable. It has been working and we have been lucky to win several of the games recently. Our shooting was just as bad as PV's, but our FT's were back down to the 50%'s and we were 3-18 from beyond the arc. Overall, something's gotta change because teams will continue to play us like this as they've seen teams use it with success against us.

+1 to the lady tigers... their SOS is hurting them, but they've gotta win when it matters.
3-18 is just unexplainable ..... it screams laziness.  I heard that the team practiced 3 times between Friday and Saturday leading up to the game.  So the effort is there, just not the mental aspect and coaching.  I think Mike gives them too much freedom on the court, we don't have any natural 3 point shooters (55%+) so there's no need for that many attempts by anyone.  It should've been 2 pts only past the 12th miss .... it's not like we were down by too many and 3 pointers were a logical go-to

But again my expectations are pretty much done with the regular season .... I take it game by game. I just don't know what to expect now after losing the biggest game of the year at home to a below .500 PV but almost blowing out SWAC leader Alabama State ..... it's February Madness I guess lol

Biggs is back .... SWAC Championship here we come.  My confidence shot up by 100% in achieving that goal.  Looking for a hotel now ... I would like to make the SWAC Tourney '15!

The men have earned at least a share of the Regular Season title... can win it outright with a win on Thursday at the H&PE!

Nelson said:
The men have earned at least a share of the Regular Season title... can win it outright with a win on Thursday at the H&PE!

I knew Alabama State was going to lose to PV, PV is on fiya. SU will lose to PV as well and I think Alabama State will lose to Jackson State.

So I think we are a shoe in for Championships for the men and women, but again to me the most important goal is to win the tourney!

SWAC Tourney will be very hard this year, but now Biggs is back I feel like the odds are heavily in our favor. And I really do believe the women will finally pull it off as well

Back