• Texas Southern continues SWAC play Saturday evening with a match-up versus Prairie View A&M at 5:30 p.m. inside the H&PE Arena.
• Second-year head coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke returns to the TSU sidelines for the first time since 2012-13. She spent the 2012-13 season at TSU and led them to the SWAC Regular Season Championship for the first time in school history.
• Guard Ciani Cryor is off to a sizzling start as she's averaging 16.2 points, 7.7 assists and 3.7 steals. She ranks third nationally in assists per game and seventh in steals.
• Head coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke is 67-39 all-time in the month of January and 10-1 at TSU.
• Cooper-Dyke is 2-1 all-time against Prairie View A&M as she has not played them since 2013.
• Prairie View A&M was picked third in the SWAC Preseason poll. Bernesha Peters leads the team with 11.0 points per game while Ke'Asia Williams leads with 5.6 rebounds per game. Prairie View A&M is coming off two home losses: 68-63 to Alcorn State and 68-48 to Southern.
• Senior forward Niya Mitchell completed the trifecta as she was named the SWAC's Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year in addition to earning first team honors. A 5-10 graduate student from Bay City, Texas, Mitchell is averaging a double-double (14.8/11.2) and ranks 9th nationally in rebounding and 8th in steals. She has 6 double-doubles.
• TSU was picked fifth in the Southwestern Athletic Conference preseason poll after finishing the 2018-19 season in fifth. TSU has a revamped roster with only five letterwiners retuning while they welcome nine newcomers and two redshirts.
• TSU's RPI as of Jan. 7 is 78 and is 130 points higher than the next closest team in the SWAC. TSU has the fifth-highest RPI in the state of Texas.
Print Friendly Version
Courtesy: TSU Athletics