Texas Southern Basketball Thread

@[Dynamite] posted this on twitter:
[attachment=31]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 8
It's their inaugural year but they still haven't released any information regarding who's playing who

Dynamite pid=289 dateline=1375377969 said:
I wonder who we are going to play in the HBCU tournament.

Field set for HBCU Tip-Off Championship at Philips Arena

The field is set for the HBCU Tip-Off Championship, which will be held Nov. 8-11 at Philips Arena.

Four teams from Division I and four teams from Division II, including Morehouse, will participate in the inaugural event.

From Division I, Norfolk State, which went 21-12 overall and 16-0 in the MEAC last year, will be joined by a pair of teams from the SWAC, Texas Southern and Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Texas Southern was 17-14 overall, 16-2 in the conference last year. Arkansas-Pine Bluff was 16-14, 15-3 in the conference. Wisconsin-Green Bay, which is not a historically black college or university, rounds out the Division I field. They went 18-16, 10-6 in the Horizon League last year.

In addition to Morehouse on the Division II side are CIAA teams Virginia Union and Johnson C. Smith, and the SIAC’s Tuskegee.

Read the rest: http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/field-set-for-hbcu-tip-off-championship/nZQBB/

tron44 pid=353 dateline=1380134385 said:
Any reports on how the new guys are doing in open gym etc..

I reached out and @[cleb28] said this:
Honestly, Coach Davis has them doing more conditioning than anything. The only time they really touch the ball is on their own. He wants to really run and push the ball this season and wants them well conditioned.

From Twitter:

@JoshuaParrott:
Ex-Ole Miss F Jason Carter, who was Arkansas State-bound, tells me he's sitting out this year at Texas Southern. Will be a senior in '14-15. New Orleans native Jason Carter was top 150 hoops recruit out of Houston. Spent a yr @ Alabama+Chipola+Ole Miss. Nice get for Texas Southern

[attachment=58]

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 42
Any thoughts on our current roster?
http://www.tsuball.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Nelson pid=421 dateline=1382966218 said:
Any thoughts on our current roster?
http://www.tsuball.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
It's enough juice to get a 10th to 14th seed in a NCAA tournament regional!!!

I like the way you think! We've got great transfers, great recruits, and the largest, deepest squad I've ever seen!

The HBCU Tip-OFF is postponed until at least 2014: "In order to maintain the ability to deliver our program now and in the future, it became necessary to postpone until 2014," said HBCU Tip-Off Championship CEO Kevin Clayton. "We remain committed to building awareness and support for the HBCU community, its student-athletes and athletic programs."

But we've received confirmation that Norfolk State and Wiley College will play us at home in the H&PE:
Norfolk State - Nov. 9 at 5pm
Wiley College - Nov. 11 at 7pm

Nelson pid=427 dateline=1383136240 said:
The HBCU Tip-OFF is postponed until at least 2014: "In order to maintain the ability to deliver our program now and in the future, it became necessary to postpone until 2014," said HBCU Tip-Off Championship CEO Kevin Clayton. "We remain committed to building awareness and support for the HBCU community, its student-athletes and athletic programs."

But we've received confirmation that Norfolk State and Wiley College will play us at home in the H&PE:
Norfolk State - Nov. 9 at 5pm
I have not seen a date/time for the Wiley College game, but I'll assume for now that it is around the same time.

Norfolk State will be a good game I'm looking forward to  .... but Wiley College not really, I'm sure we're way too overmatched for them.  I never even heard about them having a basketball team.

I'm surprised UH isn't on the schedule (in place of Wiley) especially since last year's game was quite exciting, had a decent attendance, and we almost beat them.  Maybe UH got scared b/c we can beat them for sure this year and they know it lol.  But yea UH would've made more sense since they're only 30 seconds away #ScottStRivalry #BattleforHouston

TXSUDFWTIGER pid=430 dateline=1383188460 said:
Norfolk State will be a good game I'm looking forward to  .... but Wiley College not really, I'm sure we're way too overmatched for them.  I never even heard about them having a basketball team.

I'm surprised UH isn't on the schedule (in place of Wiley) especially since last year's game was quite exciting, had a decent attendance, and we almost beat them.  Maybe UH got scared b/c we can beat them for sure this year and they know it lol.  But yea UH would've made more sense since they're only 30 seconds away #ScottStRivalry #BattleforHouston
Norfolk State is in 9 days! and yes Wiley College should be a show out type game. I understand being a good sport but we better put up 100+ on them.

I think UH got scared personally from last year. We only lost because we missed shots at the end and switched defense when it was working. We truly beat ourselves that game. We are currently the best team and the highest ranked team in the city.

Nelson pid=431 dateline=1383224626 said:
Norfolk State is in 9 days! and yes Wiley College should be a show out type game. I understand being a good sport but we better put up 100+ on them.

I think UH got scared personally from last year. We only lost because we missed shots at the end and switched defense when it was working. We truly beat ourselves that game. We are currently the best team and the highest ranked team in the city.
True, I forgot we we're the premiere team in Houston this year.  But yeah last year we got too excited and lost our composure.

Here's another unresearched SWAC "preview" via Sports Network: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-tsn-aen-swac-outlook-20131105,0,3496497.story

Long story short, they predict us finishing in FOURTH place.

Nelson pid=439 dateline=1383745872 said:
Here's another unresearched SWAC "preview" via Sports Network: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-tsn-aen-swac-outlook-20131105,0,3496497.story

Long story short, they predict us finishing in FOURTH place.

You're so right.  Not only that but they picked Southern as conference champs and A&M to finish 1st?! Like who wrote this mess. 

And they failed to mentioned that although we lost 12 out of 13 OOC games.  The majority were by 10 pts or less and on the road, including taking then ranked Colorado to 2 overtimes on their court.

I wonder who the writer alma mater is b/c it definitely isn't TxSU thank goodness lol!  Bad research and writing screams overpopulated drunk party state school (i.e. Florida State, LSU, etc)

This is for everyone: Have you seen a TSU Basketball game yet this year? What's your opinion so far?

Nelson pid=463 dateline=1384442216 said:
This is for everyone: Have you seen a TSU Basketball game yet this year? What's your opinion so far?

Talented players, coach, and decent size/condition.

Just need to be more patient, be more efficient in running offensive plays, and stick to man to man.  I feel like man to man is our best defensive strategy right now.  In the zone defense, the other school seems to score more.

Definitely by mid-season we should be all the way turned-up and clicking on all cylinders.  The guys haven't been playing with each other long, a lot of new players .... so they need some games to fully gel.

#KeepCalmTxSUBasketballSeasonIsHere

I agree with everything you just said especially the defensive strategy. Our man to man has been great while our 2-3 zone has been exploited especially against Miami. They distributed the ball well theough every hole we had in the zone. The communication will be there sooner than later and playing as a team will come faster than we expect.

Back