Texas Southern at Alabama A&M Preview

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
WHAT: Texas Southern (0-3, 0-2 in SWAC) at Alabama A&M (1-3, 1-1 in SWAC)
WHEN: 6 p.m. Saturday
WHERE: Louis Crews Stadium, Huntsville, AL

THIS GAME WILL DETERMINE:
Which team can pull out of its spiral and which would seem doomed already to a losing record. With its season-opening win, Alabama A&M does have legitimate hopes to still win the SWAC East since it has yet to play a division game.

THREE THINGS TO LOOK FOR:

1. Big plays. Both Alabama A&M and Texas Southern like to play aggressive defenses that keep pressure on opposing quarterbacks, but it can also leave defensive backs vulnerable in one-on-one coverage..
2. The A&M running game. Texas Southern has allowed 239.7 yards rushing per game, and the A&M running backs finally made their presence known last week, with two breakaway runs by the speedy Brandon Eldemire and a 125-yard day by Barrington Scott.
3. Special teams. Missed extra points and other subpar play on special teams hurt Alabama A&M last week. Texas Southern has only forced 13 punts in three games and has yet to return a punt, that could be an A&M advantage.

KEY MATCHUP

Texas Southern quarterback Homer Causey - one of four QB's the Tigers have tried - and his offensive line against the Alabama A&M defensive front. Texas Southern has allowed 14 sacks in three games. A&M defensive coordinator Brawski Towns isn't afraid to dial up the occasional blitz.

BY THE NUMBERS

21-for-64 - Third-down conversion by A&M this season; Texas Southern has allowed 52.5 percent conversion from its opponents..

Source: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/09/bulldog_buzz_texas_southern_at.html

Nelson pid=363 dateline=1380295695 said:

Which team can pull out of its spiral and which would seem doomed already to a losing record. With its season-opening win, Alabama A&M does have legitimate hopes to still win the SWAC East since it has yet to play a division game.

1. Big plays. Both Alabama A&M and Texas Southern like to play aggressive defenses that keep pressure on opposing quarterbacks, but it can also leave defensive backs vulnerable in one-on-one coverage..
2. The A&M running game. Texas Southern has allowed 239.7 yards rushing per game, and the A&M running backs finally made their presence known last week, with two breakaway runs by the speedy Brandon Eldemire and a 125-yard day by Barrington Scott.
3. Special teams. Missed extra points and other subpar play on special teams hurt Alabama A&M last week. Texas Southern has only forced 13 punts in three games and has yet to return a punt, that could be an A&M advantage.

KEY MATCHUP

Texas Southern quarterback Homer Causey - one of four QB's the Tigers have tried - and his offensive line against the Alabama A&M defensive front. Texas Southern has allowed 14 sacks in three games. A&M defensive coordinator Brawski Towns isn't afraid to dial up the occasional blitz.

BY THE NUMBERS

21-for-64 - Third-down conversion by A&M this season; Texas Southern has allowed 52.5 percent conversion from its opponents..

Source: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/09/bulldog_buzz_texas_southern_at.html

This was one of the games where we were more evenly matched (hence the score).  Even though we have penalties imposed on us this year, the coaching is quite questionable among other things. Tiger Football needs to redress some things starting Monday or they'll have a winless season .... can we at least get 1 win in this down year?? (we better beat Grambling, the worst team in the FCS)

TXSUDFWTIGER said:

KEY MATCHUP

BY THE NUMBERS

This was one of the games where we were more evenly matched (hence the score).  Even though we have penalties imposed on us this year, the coaching is quite questionable among other things. Tiger Football needs to redress some things starting Monday or they'll have a winless season .... can we at least get 1 win in this down year?? (we better beat Grambling, the worst team in the FCS)

I have to agree with what you said, especially with some of the coaching. It's not every coach or every position, so I'm unable to attest it to lack of practice or lack of coaching, but things need to be fixed and improved upon across the board. And we better damn well beat Grambling and Howard too ... we're at the bottom of the barrel right now with them: http://www.realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_Men.html

Nelson pid=370 dateline=1380543916 said:
TXSUDFWTIGER pid=366 dateline=1380490503 said:

KEY MATCHUP

BY THE NUMBERS

I have to agree with what you said, especially with some of the coaching. It's not every coach or every position, so I'm unable to attest it to lack of practice or lack of coaching, but things need to be fixed and improved upon across the board. And we better damn well beat Grambling and Howard too ... we're at the bottom of the barrel right now with them: http://www.realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_Men.html

Like I said Nelson weeks ago, the only 4 games where we are more evenly matched is A&M, Valley, Howard, and Grambling.  Any wins outside of this is a big upset.  I'll say it, the coaching is just bad, I wouldn't be surprise if someone starts a campaign to find us a new coach soon enough   ... everyone is saying it from the ESPNU commenters a/g Jackson State to the guys on KTSU 90.9 calling the game every week.  It's an obvious problem, coaching is everything.  I've seen coaches make good players look bad and bad players look good. Which is why they're paid so well on the collegiate level.

I really hope our Seniors can get that one win, especially the last home game of the season a/g Howard.  As a former high school athlete, I would've been so upset losing my last home game my Senior year (we blew our opponent out by 30 in the win).  So I just hope they can at least walk out of BBVA with that win on Senior Day.

#Imready4TXSUBBall

TXSUDFWTIGER pid=372 dateline=1380588909 said:
Like I said Nelson weeks ago, the only 4 games where we are more evenly matched is A&M, Valley, Howard, and Grambling.  Any wins outside of this is a big upset.  I'll say it, the coaching is just bad, I wouldn't be surprise if someone starts a campaign to find us a new coach soon enough   ... everyone is saying it from the ESPNU commenters a/g Jackson State to the guys on KTSU 90.9 calling the game every week.  It's an obvious problem, coaching is everything.  I've seen coaches make good players look bad and bad players look good. Which is why they're paid so well on the collegiate level.

I really hope our Seniors can get that one win, especially the last home game of the season a/g Howard.  As a former high school athlete, I would've been so upset losing my last home game my Senior year (we blew our opponent out by 30 in the win).  So I just hope they can at least walk out of BBVA with that win on Senior Day.

#Imready4TXSUBBall
Yup and you were right on point about that. No argument there. I just hope we do find a rhythm and start to upset a few people since the season seems to be a farce this year.

Especially being at home, we should make that win happen against Howard.

Back