Heishma Northern the new DC?!

TXSUDFWTIGER

I almost wrecked my car when I found out Northern was coming to TSU.

While he was Head Coach at PV his defense ranked (SWAC 2014 stats) ....
*8th in scoring defense (we ranked 4th)
*9th in total defense (we ranked 2nd)
*8th in rushing defense (we ranked 4th)
*7th in pass defense (we ranked 2nd)
*6th in kick off coverage (we ranked 3rd)

I can go on and on.  His defense consistently ranked among the worst teams in the SWAC.  Our offense was the biggest problem as we consistently ranked last or near last, he should've found a new OC first (priorities)!

source: http://www.swac.org/ViewContent.dbml?CONTENT_ID=967899&DB_OEM_ID=27400#conf.wt2

So can someone please explain to me why Northern who was fired from PV is the new DC at TSU? I don't get it, maybe it's just me .... or maybe I'm right and this is yet another stupid decision by Ashberry that'll jeopardize our chances at finally getting a championship yet again? I'm livid!

Make sure you're not driving when you read this... we already did hire an OC... at the same time Northern was hired... PV's (and our former, 2002-2003) OC: Mark Orlando. http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/27564476/former-prairie-view-am-head-football-coach-heishma-northern-joins-staff-at-tsu

@[tsuball10] broke the news to me and while I had my reservations at first, I'm going to put that Defense (or lack thereof) on their first year DC Cliff Yoshida (they've had a revolving door at DC for years). Admittedly, PV's defense was good when Northern was only handling DC duties. Hopefully that translates directly over to us. 

Asberry is on his final contract year. Win a championship or go home.

Nelson said:
Make sure you're not driving when you read this... we already did hire an OC... at the same time Northern was hired... PV's (and our former, 2002-2003) OC: Mark Orlando. http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/27564476/former-prairie-view-am-head-football-coach-heishma-northern-joins-staff-at-tsu

@[tsuball10] broke the news to me and while I had my reservations at first, I'm going to put that Defense (or lack thereof) on their first year DC Cliff Yoshida (they've had a revolving door at DC for years). Admittedly, PV's defense was good when Northern was only handling DC duties. Hopefully that translates directly over to us. 

Asberry is on his final contract year. Win a championship or go home.

Exactly or I will boycott every TSU football game until he leaves.  I tried to roll with him but I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Normally when you make a hire you state credentials about that person to validate your hire to inquiring minds.  He didn't do that, I had no idea PV defense was good when Northern was only a DC until you told me (but I'm still weary of Northern).  And based on the 2014 stats, PV offense did pretty OK. So I can see how Orlando might be a good hire.  But to be honest, traditionally PV always has had a good offense and we a better defense.

He should've just brought in coaches from a winning program to have us on board with little to no speculation (smart thing)! In this decade, PV football isn't a winning program.

I'd prefer to take the Alcorn St. route (shout out to the first white SWAC head football coach & a championship 2 years after hire) and stop doing the revolving door of coaches from the HBCU ranks, but that's just me.

Nelson said:
I'd prefer to take the Alcorn St. route (shout out to the first white SWAC head football coach & a championship 2 years after hire) and stop doing the revolving door of coaches from the HBCU ranks, but that's just me.

I've said that before.  Stop hiring "SWAC leftovers" is how I put it.  MVSU hired J-State fired coach, Ashberry came from J-State, Northern came from PV to TSU ....

The only SWAC people I'm for are TSU alumni who are looking to help build their alma mater b/c it makes sense ... outside of that I don't really care for any non-TSU alumni joining our football ranks. 

I read that the governor of Mississippi gave Alcorn a shout out for winning the SWAC (that's a big deal), have a winning football program is serious.  It adds to the visibility of the school which translate to needed MONEY and SUPPORT to sustain or improve these schools.  Football, basketball, and baseball are more than just a game ... it's a serious business and often dictates the status of the university.  I guarantee Alcorn endowments from the state, enrollment, and alumni giving will go up ..... never fails. Everyone loves being affiliated with a winner ... that's why the Bulls had so many fans everywhere.

dal4018 said:
Too bad the SWAC is no longer playoff eligible Alcorn could have done some damage!!!!
It's not a question of eligibility. We simply choose not to participate in the FCS playoffs, but instead have a SWAC championship game.

Back