Family of slain TSU student sues school

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
The family of a Texas Southern University freshman shot and killed outside his dorm in October sued the school Wednesday, arguing that security was too lax at the campus in a rough southeast Houston neighborhood.

Brent Randall, a freshman described by TSU President John Rudley described as "a beautiful young man, trying to get his life together," was one of two people shot outside the Courtyard Apartments in October. The shooting was one of four at TSU last fall.

Randall's family's lawsuit cites prior shootings on the campus as evidence that TSU "knew or reasonably should have known of the dangerous condition of the premises."

"As a result of the negligence of [TSU's] and their actions and inactions, Brent Randall endured a violent shooting resulting in significant conscious suffering, as well as painful physical and mental injuries before his death," the lawsuit says. It seeks unspecified damages.

TSU ramped up security in the days following the October shooting, adding curfews, sign-in sheets at dorms, random room checks and additional patrols.

TSU officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the lawsuit.

Rudley, who announced last year that he will leave TSU after his contract expires in August, has said the shootings on campus were a big reason why he decided to leave the school. He said that while the school has increased security, it can't afford to do everything it needs.

"I didn't want to wake up anymore and deal with -- 'We have lost another student or two,' " Rudley said, speaking to the Houston Chronicle editorial board about unrelated matters on Tuesday. "I woke up after the last one and said, 'Enough of this.' "

Read the rest:
http://www.chron.com/local/educatio...-of-slain-TSU-student-sues-school-6740939.php

See this why I no longer support Rudley and will be all smiles come May 2015, I lost all respect for him. Won't miss him

1.) Instead of just saying he's leaving because his contract is up, it's time for the university to be lead by someone else, or keeping his fucking mouth shut ... he decided to go the classless route and further tarnish the image of the school. I understand his frustration but that in no way excused what he said which can easily be negatively misconstrued/misinterpreted by prospective students, donors, and employers of TSU students who read the Chron ... I mean just look at how the Chron emphasized his ill-advised comment about the shootings at TSU as if that's the norm or the school is unmanageable. My whole time there we had no shootings on campus. On more occassion than one, Rudley has proven to be unfit and not savvy enough to run a university, so this isn't an isolated incident or mistake.
2.) I don't know if the shooting was avoidable. It's practically impossible to police everyone who goes into UC. Anyone can easily jump the gate. The only way they can win is if they can prove the shooting was avoidable which I don't think they can prove. The guy was gonna shoot him regardless
3.) TSU should've super beefed up security after the summer shooting for sure. They dropped the ball there, but I don't think Third Ward will have a bad reputation for long. Gentrification is taking full effect and it's cleaning out many of the dangerous crowds.

Back