2014 Texas Southern Basketball Thread

The announcer on ESPNU mentioned that this is the last game that we'll have to play without 6'9" Jason Carter and 6'8" Josh Friar.

Sam Houston Women Play Host to Texas Southern Wednesday

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - Two women’s basketball teams hungry for a victory meet Wednesday night when Texas Southern visits Bernard G. Johnson Coliseum to take on Sam Houston at 6:30 p.m.

The contest will be streamed live on www.gobearkats.com .

The Bearkats’ young women’s squad fell a basket short of picking up its first win of the season last Saturday in Dallas, falling to Florida A&M 69-67. Sam Houston stands 0-5 but has shown improvement with each outing.

Held under 50 points in each of its first three games, the SHSU women totaled 67 points in both their games at the SMU Thanksgiving Classic.

Transfer point guard Shernise Robertson is Sam Houston’s top scorer, averaging 16.0 points a game. Robertson has been deadly from three-point range, hitting 37.5 percent (9-of-24) in her five outings.

Two other Bearkat guards have provided scoring as well with sophomore Taylor Dorsey averaging 10.6 points per contest and junior Amanda Barnes adding 7.8 points per game.

Texas Southern brings a 1-5 record into Johnson Coliseum. The Tigers have played a demanding schedule with losses to Oklahoma State, Kansas, TCU, Tulsa and California State-Northridge. Their lone victory is a 71-61 win over IUPU.

Brianna Sidney, a 5-9 junior guard, leads TSU in scoring with a 12.0 average. Morgan Simmons, a 6-1 senior forward, adds 9.8 points per contest and leads the Tigers with 7.5 rebounds per game.

Sam Houston holds a 9-2 advantage in the all-time women’s basketball series with Texas Southern. But the Bearkats have a score to settle. The Tigers won 62-57 in their last meeting with Sam Houston, defeating an SHSU women’s team in December, 2012, that went on to win the 2013 Southland Conference championship.

Following Wednesday’s game with Texas Southern, the Sam Houston women will travel to Louisiana-Lafayette Saturday for a road non-conference tilt. The Bearkats’ next home women’s game is Wednesday, Dec. 17, against Prairie View A&M.
Courtesy: GoBearkats.com

I see that you guys pulled off a win vs Lamar congrats and your starting to pull in some recruits hey keep an eye on a guy named Maurice Taylor 6-7 200 he is at Western Texas College he was originally recruited by North Carolina A&T he can play multiple positions G/F!!! Don't let him slip away!!!!!

You guys need more size do you have your eyes on Murray type players 6-10 and up?????

When do you guys start your conference schedule????

Nelson said:
I can't be the only one who notices he still wears the same suit every game ..... he makes 6 figures, I don't get it.  Even if he made 3 figures, he could still afford at least 3 suits from Suit Mart.  I don't understand.

I will pass out if I saw him in a different suit ... in fact I'll give him a standing ovation while balancing both feet on a basketball if that day ever comes.

Maybe he's got like 10 suits that all look alike?

I'm just surprised he's in a suit at all, but I suppose it's because it's non-conference action. By the time SWAC comes around, he'll be in just a polo again. People noticed last year http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/texas-southern-head-coach-mike-davis-wears-polo-shirt-under-suit-photo

Nelson said:
Maybe he's got like 10 suits that all look alike?

I'm just surprised he's in a suit at all, but I suppose it's because it's non-conference action. By the time SWAC comes around, he'll be in just a polo again. People noticed last year http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/texas-southern-head-coach-mike-davis-wears-polo-shirt-under-suit-photo
Lol they're the same. Trust me I know suits, I grew up in church .... the same week I was born I went to church.

The Lady Tigers play @ HBU tonight at 6 pm at Sharp Gym. Let's go make this feel like a home game Tigers!

For those of you out of town:
Live Audio
Live Video
Live Stats
Game Notes

From HBUHuskies.com
HOUSTON – The HBU women's basketball team hosts crosstown rival Texas Southern Wednesday, Dec. 17 at 6 pm from Sharp Gym. The Huskies continue their four-game home stand Friday against McMurry at 6 pm.

HBU is one win away from program number 300. The program enters Wednesday's game with a record of 299-196.

Texas Southern leads the all-time series, 4-1, and won last season's game, 82-70, at H&PE Arena. Friday will mark the first meeting between the Huskies and War Hawks. [NELSON's EDIT -- somebody was sloppy.]

HBU (4-3) dominated visiting Arlington Baptist in the paint (68-30) and on the boards (54-21) as the Huskies defeated the Patriots, 92-62, Saturday. Shanice Steenholdt led all players with 22 points and 11 rebounds, while Ashleigh Nwanguma posted her first double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 boards. Rachel Arthur had eight points and tied her career high of seven assists. Tayler Jefferson tied her career high of six rebounds, while Anna Strickland tied her career mark of three blocks.

The 92 points scored were the most since the Huskies scored 99 against Huston-Tillotson Dec. 28, 2013. The 54 rebounds were the most since pulling down 59 against HTU Dec. 29, 2012.

Steenholdt continues to lead the Southland Conference with 21.7 points and 12.0 rebounds per game. Arthur is averaging 10.3 points per game, while Jefferson has dished out a team-best 34 assists.

HBU is shooting 49 percent from the floor while its opponents are shooting 40 percent.

Texas Southern (1-6) has not played since a 61-54 loss at Sam Houston State Dec. 3. Toni Cheadle led the Lady Tigers with 15 points, while Brianna Sidney had 14 points and a team-best six rebounds.

On the season, Sidney leads Texas Southern with 12.3 points per game. She is T-1st in NCAA Division I with a perfect free throw percentage (18-for-18). Morgan Simmons and Diamonisha Sophus each have 9.3 points per game, as Simmons has a team-best 7.1 rebounds per contest. Sophus has a team-best 23 assists.

The Lady Tigers are shooting 37 percent from the floor, compared to 43 percent for their opponents.

McMurry (1-10) is on a nine-game losing streak and lost to visiting Mid-America Christian University, 58-54, Monday. The War Hawks play at UT-Arlington Wednesday prior to playing HBU.

Taylor Neal leads McMurry with 13.4 points per game. Adijatu Disu is second on the team in both points (9.9) and rebounds (6.3). Mishae Roper leads the team with 6.5 boards per game.

The War Hawks are shooting 33 percent from the floor, compared to 41 percent for their opponents.
[NELSON's EDIT AGAIN...]

We have to be the only SWAC school to have national players of the week two years in a row ..... thanks to Chris Thomas.

I wish we had a statistician pull up the records on that... if it's ever been done, and if so, when was the last time.

Nelson said:
I wish we had a statistician pull up the records on that... if it's ever been done, and if so, when was the last time.
Man these guys are playing a super long non-conference season ... most schools are finished.  We got 2 more, I hope it gets us ready and they're not too tired

I think they were tired in November when they had a string of games every few days. Then there was rest and more rest recently. I think they'll be ok

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
I can't be the only one who notices he still wears the same suit every game ..... he makes 6 figures, I don't get it.  Even if he made 3 figures, he could still afford at least 3 suits from Suit Mart.  I don't understand.

I will pass out if I saw him in a different suit ... in fact I'll give him a standing ovation while balancing both feet on a basketball if that day ever comes.
Why does it matter what kind of suit he wears? I think his priorities should be developing young men, not being a GQ model.  The last coach was caught up in appearances and you see where that landed the team.

Both the men and women took care of Alcorn State to open up conference play.
Women won 75-66
Men won 72-55 (41-18 at halftime ... they did let off the gas, which I did not like)

Both teams travel and play @ Southern on Monday... women will start at 5 to ensure the men's game starts at 8pm for the game on ESPNU.

I am looking forward to taking my 4 year old daughter to the game Saturday. She asked me last night are we going to any TSU basketball games.

I'll be there in spirit Saturday and I'll be there physically on Monday.

Back