TSUSports.com: Lady Tigers Heading to NCAA Albuquerque Regional

TigerFans

Administrator
Staff member
INDIANAPOLIS- The Texas Southern Lady Tigers Golf Team learned their next site of competition on Thursday during the NCAA Women's Golf Selection Show.
TSU has been selected to participate in the NCAA Regionals being held in Albuquerque, New Mexico on May 8-10 at the University of New Mexico Championship Course.

Texas Southern won its first ever Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship last week at the Links on the Bayou in Alexandria, La. to clinch the league's automatic qualifier to the NCAA Regionals.

Texas Southern's Amber Kuykendall shot even-under-par 71-73-144 to pace the Lady Tigers. TSU teammate Jalyn Joseph was awarded the SWAC Women's Golf Freshman of the Year award after firing a 75-84-159. Kuykendall and Joseph were each named to the All-Conference First Team.

"We're very excited to get the opportunity to all be together and compete at the NCAA Regionals," said TSU senior golfer Jalyn Kuykendall. "This is a moment that I've been preparing myself for since I arrived on campus as a freshman."

Those sentiments were shared by TSU freshman Jalyn Joseph who also feels the excitement that goes along with seeing her teams' name called on Thursday.

"I'm really anxious and excited to get the opportunity to play against some of the best golfers in the country," said Joseph. "I never would've imagined that I'd be saying that I'm going to compete in an NCAA Regional. This whole experience has truly been a blessing."

The top five seeds at the NCAA Albuquerque Regional are Stanford, USC, Duke, Miami (Florida) and Oklahoma State. The rest of the field consists of North Carolina State, California, Illinois, Pepperdine, Washington, SMU, Campbell, Denver, New Mexico State, Cal Poly, Sacramento State and Houston Baptist.

From each of the four regionals, the low six teams and the low three individuals not on those teams, a total of 24 teams and 12 individuals, advance to the national championships May 19-24 at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Illinois. The other three regionals will be held in Lubbock, Texas; Athens, Georgia; and Columbus, Ohio.

The Lady Tigers will spend the upcoming days preparing to compete at a high level as they get set to make their NCAA Women's Golf Championships debut.

For the latest breaking news regarding TSU golf please visit us online at www.tsusports.com and follow us on social media on Instagram and Twitter @TigerFans.

Courtesy: TSU Athletics

Back