TSUSports.com: DISHMAN NAMED HEAD FOOTBALL COACH

TigerFans

Administrator
Staff member
FOOTBallcd

Football
1/12/2024 10:27:00 AM

TSU Sports Information

Texas Southern University Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Kevin Granger announced Friday the hiring of Cris Dishman as the 18th head football coach.

A two-time NFL Pro-Bowl selection, Dishman comes to TSU after 13 successful years in the NFL and 19 years of coaching experience at the collegiate and professional levels. After earning a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from Purdue University, he was drafted by the Houston Oilers in 1988. Dishman played spent eight years with the Oilers, two years with the Washington Commanders and Kansas City Chiefs, his final season with the Minnesota Vikings.

“Cris Dishman is an experienced football coach whose accomplishments as a player and coach make him an excellent choice to lead our football program into the future,” said Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Kevin Granger. “Even more important, he is a man of character who, in his own words, ‘seeks to make his players into better brothers, fathers, and husbands.’ I appreciate the Board of Regents’ bold, strategic approach to finding new opportunities to elevate Texas Southern University. I look forward to working with Coach Dishman to bring new levels of success to TSU Football.”

Dishman comes to TSU after spending the last two seasons as Defensive Coordinator of the XFL’s Las Vegas Vipers. Prior to joining the Vipers, he spent the 2022 season as the Defensive Coordinator for the United States Football League’s New Jersey Generals. During his lone season with the Generals, the team boasted the top rushing defense in the USFL. His team also ranked second in rushing defense and interceptions, and third in scoring defense.

“The Board of Regents is thrilled to welcome Head Football Coach Cris Dishman to Texas Southern University,” said TSU Board of Regents Chairman Brandon L. Simmons. “Coach Dishman is an experienced coach, professional football player, and businessman. We are excited to see his leadership lead to wins and his mentorship contribute to student success. We appreciate Dr. Granger and Interim President Dr. Mary Evans Sias’ leadership of this deliberate process. This hire will be the first of many across our campus in 2024 that continue to improve the university’s ability to deliver education and economic opportunity for TSU students.”

He has coached defenses at the professional, collegiate, and prep levels. He entered coaching as the Defensive Back Coach for the NFL Europe’s Berlin Thunder. He was a Defensive Back Intern for the Oakland Raiders (2005 and 2007), the Miami Dolphins (2006), and Arizona Cardinals (2017). From 2006-2008, he served as the Defensive Coordinator (Secondary) at Menlo College (NCAA Division III). He also served as the Assistant Defensive Back Coach for the San Diego Chargers (2008-2013). During his time with the Chargers, the passing defense improved from 31st in the NFL to 1st. His spent the 2015-2016 season as Safeties Coach at Baylor University. Dishman spent a season as the Defensive Back Coach of the Montreal Alouettes (CFL) before returning to the college ranks as Defensive Back Coach at McNeese State University. He was also the Defensive Back Coach of the XFL’s New York Guardians (2019-2020), and he coached some of the top high school prospects as Defensive Coordinator of prep powerhouse IMG Academy.

“I want everyone in Tigerland to know that we’re going to put together a good team, a good staff, and everyone has to do their job and be all in for TSU football,” Dishman said.

Dishman and his wife Jennifer have four adult children.

Courtesy: TSUSports.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how I feel about this but I feel optimistic. I been doing research on him so far so good. He's definitely a defensive guy so he I'm expecting offense to be his weakness so his OC hire WILL BE THE MOST IMPORTANT

I don't know how I feel about this but I feel optimistic. I been doing research on him so far so good. He's definitely a defensive guy so he I'm expecting offense to be his weakness so his OC hire WILL BE THE MOST IMPORTANT
His whole assistant staff will be important hires... make a splash from day 1

I don't believe he had one -- I think it's one of those 'forget the formalities and hit the ground running' type scenarios because it took so long to even get here. He was at the basketball games on Saturday for people in attendance.

They had the press conference today
Yeah I watched it. The energy was missing from him for me. He is not as charismatic as I was hoping but hopefully it's nerves and he's still a good motivator and recruiter. It's hard to deny he's very qualified

Back