Texas Southern to part ways with Clarence McKinney as head football coach

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
Screenshot-2023-11-14-at-12.33.41-PM.png

Texas Southern will not renew the contract of head football coach Clarence McKinney, HBCU Sports has learned from a source familiar with the matter Monday evening.

Currently in his fifth season as the school’s head coach, McKinney, 52, is in the final year of his contract, which now pays him $306,000 and is set to expire on Dec. 15.

Since he was named head coach in December 2018, the program under McKinney’s leadership has struggled to find wins, resulting in him amassing a cumulative record of 12-34. His first season in 2019 ended without a single win, followed by only one win during a shortened 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and subsequent seasons during 2021 and 2022 resulted in a combined record of 8-14.

The decision not to renew McKinney’s contract comes amid the Tigers’ current 3-7 season, which will conclude Saturday when Texas Southern hosts Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

Before arriving at TSU, McKinney, a Houston native, served as Arizona’s associate head coach and running backs coach. He was also a running backs coach at Texas A&M and Houston.

Texas Southern has yet to make a formal announcement regarding McKinney’s departure.

Via: HBCUSports.com // Kenn Rashad

I anticipate the official news to drop on 11/19, the day after the UAPB game, or on 11/20 Monday morning.

I been waiting on this day for so long. I personally believe we have a great football fanbase but we can't win so they don't show up and show out. Even though we are a basketball school, Texas is a football state first and foremost. For most Texans basketball is just an appetizer for football

This new coach better be somebody that makes sense and not from the SWAC. We need to think big and find the money somewhere. With the new fieldhouse being built, football recruitment should be better

I anticipate the official news to drop on 11/19, the day after the UAPB game, or on 11/20 Monday morning.
They need to make the announcement right after the game end and already have a new coach ready to go. McKinney needs to go ASAP so we can start rebuilding!

I would like to keep Body, that's really my main concern with him leaving and hopefully he stays

I been waiting on this day for so long. I personally believe we have a great football fanbase but we can't win so they don't show up and show out. Even though we are a basketball school, Texas is a football state first and foremost. For most Texans basketball is just an appetizer for football
When we were winning in 2010, the crowds were amazing!

This new coach better be somebody that makes sense and not from the SWAC. We need to think big and find the money somewhere. With the new fieldhouse being built, football recruitment should be better
I sincerely hope if/when it happens, that it's not a recycled SWAC/MEAC coach. We have paid well enough already -- I think we need to stop overpaying the HC and bring in some damn good assistants

They need to make the announcement right after the game end and already have a new coach ready to go. McKinney needs to go ASAP so we can start rebuilding!

I would like to keep Body, that's really my main concern with him leaving and hopefully he stays
Doubt this will happen. Usually there might be somebody in mind and phone calls have already begun, but that's all internally secret. Body's been playing hurt it would seem. Wilson has shined this year in his place. I don't have a problem with a QB battle to be honest -- iron sharpens iron (Proverbs 27:17)

When we were winning in 2010, the crowds were amazing!

I sincerely hope if/when it happens, that it's not a recycled SWAC/MEAC coach. We have paid well enough already -- I think we need to stop overpaying the HC and bring in some damn good assistants

Doubt this will happen. Usually there might be somebody in mind and phone calls have already begun, but that's all internally secret. Body's been playing hurt it would seem. Wilson has shined this year in his place. I don't have a problem with a QB battle to be honest -- iron sharpens iron (Proverbs 27:17)
2010 was a golden year for Tiger football. We always had a respectable fan base that love Tiger football but like I said if we not winning they gonna stay in hiding or DISENGAGED. I really like the not overpaying the head coach and underpaying the assistants. Houston is a major city so 40-50K in 2023 is not good enough ... maybe 10-15 years ago yeah but not today. Usually these men are over 30 with kids and stuff. I say 90K minimum for assistant coaches which last time I checked none were making that. And I know we can find the money but somebody hating or have a crab in a barrel mentality

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, all I know is we need to start rebuilding ASAP. I heard on YouTube that Eric Dooley from Southern (and formerly PV) applied for the head coaching position LOL ... I wish they would hire that clown. But yeah this is the time to elevate and finally wake up the Tiger Fan base. It starts with the top ... we need great leadership finally. And funny you mentioned 2010 b/c Johnnie Cole made it known he was interested in the job. He was the best coach we had since I been following TSU football so we'll see.

They probably love the guy as a mentor and for giving them an opportunity, but NCAA Head Coach is not where he needs to be.

I've gone ahead and written the press release for TSU:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Texas Southern University Athletics Announces Coaching Staff Update

HOUSTON, TX – November 18, 2023

Texas Southern University Athletics has made the decision not to renew the contract of Head Football Coach Clarence McKinney, who joined the Tigers in 2018. We extend our deepest appreciation to Coach McKinney for his dedicated service and commitment to the TSU football program during his tenure.

Coach McKinney brought exceptional recruiting prowess to the Tigers when he assumed the role in 2018. His efforts significantly contributed to the growth and talent pool of the football program, and we are grateful for the impact he has had on the team.

Throughout his time with the Texas Southern Tigers, Coach McKinney demonstrated unwavering dedication, showcasing leadership both on and off the field. The decision to part ways with Coach McKinney was a difficult one, made after thorough evaluation and consideration.

Texas Southern University Athletics is committed to ensuring the continued growth and success of our football program, and we believe that this change will pave the way for new opportunities and achievements.

We want to express our sincere thanks to Coach McKinney for his recruiting acumen, leadership, and the positive impact he has had on our student-athletes. We wish him the very best in his future endeavors.

Texas Southern University Athletics will begin a comprehensive search for a new head football coach immediately, with the aim of identifying a leader who will guide our team to new heights.

They probably love the guy as a mentor and for giving them an opportunity, but NCAA Head Coach is not where he needs to be.

I've gone ahead and written the press release for TSU:
I'm fine with him staying as a position coach or assoc coach but not as head coach. I think he was the RB coach for TAMU before he came to Houston

This head coach will be the most important hire in the history of TSU football in my humble opinion. TSU athletics I feel like is finally on the horizon of building a FCS football powerhouse. I can't explain exactly why but I just feel it my spirit it's about to happen and we deserve it. I can't even remember what it feels like to have a winning season ... 2010 feels like an eternity ago. All we need is a great (not good) head coach and watch how the pieces fall in place

Last edited:
We beat PV to start the season and your next crowd is that much bigger...

Looking ahead to 2024 of dates we know so far:
  • @ Prairie View A&M - August 31, 2024 (tentative date / Annual Labor Day Classic)
  • @ Rice - September 7, 2024
  • @ Lamar - September 21, 2024 (home and home with Lamar)
  • @ Florida A&M - November 2, 2024 (FAMU Homecoming)

Last edited:

• @ Prairie View A&M - August 31, 2024 (tentative date / Annual Labor Day Classic)
*I hate when the LDC is at PV. Their stadium isn't better than Shell energy. Winnable game with the right coach.
*Lamar is a beatable FCS team.
*FAMU will be tough

• @ Rice - September 7, 2024
Rice game added for 2024

Back