Texas Southern Basketball Thread

TSU-FIU Live Stream: http://www.fiusports.com/Multimedia/Multimedia/LiveEvents.aspx

FIU is doing the same thing Miami did: clog the middle and forcing us to shoot from the outside.

I think it's safe to say a month into the season, that we are the best HBCU basketball team in the country but nothing really outside of that ...

I can't see our Tigers beating any non-HBCU teams remaining in our OOC season.  But again the SWAC teams we have left I believe we will beat handily ..... if we do lose I expect no more than one lost.

I know we will win the SWAC (Men and Women) and for the Men I think the Southern Jags are no longer our biggest challenge. I think it's J-State too now.  Based on the games they won/played so far this season... they seem legit and will make a solid challenge for TxSU.

I been right so far with a lot of things regarding TxSU Athletics, I think I might be right with this one too.

Where has ex-Tigers Nick Barnes and Billy Rosenberg transferred to I felt they could have made contributions to the team.

dal4018 pid=515 dateline=1386938052 said:
No I'am not from the football team just a outsider that is a fan of hbcu sports.

I was talking about the 46 players on Nick Barnes new basketball team. http://www.snead.edu/SneadState/Uploads/201314%20Mens%20Basketball%20Roster.pdf

Okay thanks.Hey I have a prediction for the SWAC hoops final for men TSU vs JSU and hopefully the big men will play a role in which who will go to the big dance in March.Aaric Murray 6-10 245 vs Brandon West 6-10 235.Or it could be Julius Francis of Mississippi Valley St 6-10 255 playing either of them?!?!?!

A lot of those guys on Sneads roster need to hit the weight room.

TX Fwd Tiger you feel that Tx Southern is the best HBCU basketball team in the country what about North Carolina Central in the MEAC they are doing quite well this season.They knocked off ACC power NC State 82-72 in overtime.They feature Jeremy Ingram who is averaging 25.8 ppg third in the nation.

Nelson pid=516 dateline=1386940385 said:
I was talking about the 46 players on Nick Barnes new basketball team. http://www.snead.edu/SneadState/Uploads/201314%20Mens%20Basketball%20Roster.pdf

That is ridiculous .... I heard CC's be like 20 deep sometimes but this is a Guinness World Record @ 46 lol.  Maybe there's a practice, JV and Varsity squad, that's the only thing that could possibly explain that many players.  I think some CC's have JVs.

dal4018 pid=519 dateline=1386949099 said:
TX Fwd Tiger you feel that Tx Southern is the best HBCU basketball team in the country what about North Carolina Central in the MEAC they are doing quite well this season.They knocked off ACC power NC State 82-72 in overtime.They feature Jeremy Ingram who is averaging 25.8 ppg third in the nation.

TXSU is still definitely one of the best right now and NCCU looks to be right there with us.  I mean they look good and that NC State win was a big one for the NCCU community. 

But Southern U beat Texas A&M in College Station last year and we beat them.  We were the obvious better team by the end of the season, when it really matters. But I'll be keeping an eye on NCCU to see how they maintain doing conference play.  Whole different ball game then, teams tend to be at their peak.

I have little to no doubt that TXSU will be flourishing doing conference play. I don't know about NCCU ... I wonder if they gonna beat the MEAC teams we beat already in Norfolk State (predicted MEAC Champs) and Howard. And oh yeah we get a W in the battle of gyms .... our H&PE arena is a whole lot nicer than NCCU home

Tx Fwd Tiger I attended NCCU when it was D2 in the early 80s yes your home stadium is much larger than my alma-mater's.Yes they have done well playing against non -conference opposition.I wish that our schools could meet maybe next year that will happen.Hey I asked a question about a possible meeting with JSU meeting TSU in the SWAC finals with featuring two big men Murray 6-10 245 and West 6-10 235 or Julius Francis 6-10 255 of Mississippi Valley could spoil the party.Are these guys NBA material????

dal4018 pid=524 dateline=1387034207 said:
Tx Fwd Tiger I attended NCCU when it was D2 in the early 80s yes your home stadium is much larger than my alma-mater's.Yes they have done well playing against non -conference opposition.I wish that our schools could meet maybe next year that will happen.Hey I asked a question about a possible meeting with JSU meeting TSU in the SWAC finals with featuring two big men Murray 6-10 245 and West 6-10 235 or Julius Francis 6-10 255 of Mississippi Valley could spoil the party.Are these guys NBA material????
Ok coo, I met a few NCCU alums ... cool peeps. Ya'll Maroon & Grey too right so we got that connection lol. 

I honestly think it's too early to tell, it'll definitely be more clear by February.  But at the very least I think it will be a toss up between JSU, SU, and maybe UAPB but not really (I think they still on academic probation for low graduation).

Murray is hands down the best big man, he's already been SWAC player of the Week twice and I think he's leading the SWAC in a couple categories ... no comp there.  He's the only big man I think is NBA material but he's got to fix his attitude and game more 1st ... I seen tweets of him vulgarly going off on fans from WVU (scouts don't like that look).  And he needs to clean up his passing, agility, and overall ball intelligence.

Okay thanks for the info on Murray hope he doesn't scream on TSU fans.Hey West is no joke for JSU snatched 22 rebounds career high  in win over Evansville 57-51 another double-double 14 pts as well.He is acting as if he is the grandson Bill Russell kept quiet about,needs to work on offense more I still think he could make into the NBA as well.A (4) way race for the SWAC crown JSU,SU,TSU,UAPB.One of the Golden Lions recruits Ghiovanni Robinson is a 6-3 190 SG/PG was snatched right from under the nose of coach Potts at MVSU the guy is from Itta Bena!!!!! 23 pts 10 rebs 7asst!!! Nice numbers!!!!

TX FWD Tiger do you read Slam Magazine if so check out the latest issue Pendarvis Williams a 6-6 200 G/F of Norfolk St is the subject of a story it's called "Picture Me Ballin" it's a shout out to basketball players from mid major schools.Maybe Aaric will get lucky and be the subject of a story in this magazine.

with the next home game coming up and the start of conference play what starting 5 would yall like to see against alcorn and should we play freshman or hold them off until next year

I think we should play the freshman and see what some of them can bring to the table. The team needs more depth so we can play man to man the whole game. The experience they get this year can help them for next season.

dal4018 pid=543 dateline=1387291322 said:
TX FWD Tiger do you read Slam Magazine if so check out the latest issue Pendarvis Williams a 6-6 200 G/F of Norfolk St is the subject of a story it's called "Picture Me Ballin" it's a shout out to basketball players from mid major schools.Maybe Aaric will get lucky and be the subject of a story in this magazine.
OK i'll check it out soon. But Aaric had a write up in several national publications when he signed to TXSU a few months ago so he got some good publicity this year already.  But yeah, I'm sure he'll like Slam to shout him out soon .... if he wins player of the year I can see that.

But I forgot to mention Alabama State looks to be a legit team too.

So here are officially the SWAC teams to watch for in the 2014 season (less than 3 weeks now) ....

1. Texas Southern University's Fighting Maroon & Grey Tigers
2. Jackson State
3. Southern
4. Alabama State
5. UAPB

Everyone else is not important and should be dog toys for the "top dogs" I mentioned.

That's it.

dal4018 pid=543 dateline=1387291322 said:

There was a lot of hype surrounding Williams leading up to our first home game with them, but we nullified him for the most part, allowing him to only score 9 points. Malcolm Hawkins was their big scorer in the game against us (and looks like he continues to be their PPG leader): http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400504606

Dynamite pid=546 dateline=1387329248 said:
I think we should play the freshman and see what some of them can bring to the table. The team needs more depth so we can play man to man the whole game. The experience they get this year can help them for next season.

^^^ This... plus they need to get game experience if we want players to contribute off the bench.

Back