[Houston Press] Dos and Don'ts for Incoming Texas Southern University President Austin Lane

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
Earlier this week, Texas Southern University announced that Dr. Austin A. Lane, a Lone Star College executive vice chancellor, is slated to become TSU’s 12th president starting in early June. He’ll replace Dr. John Rudley, who announced in December that he would be stepping down at the end of the 2015-2016 academic year.

Assuming the school’s board of regents okays the appointment, Lane, who served as president of the Lone Star College-Montgomery campus from 2009 to 2015, will have his hands full.

Though Rudley, hired in 2008, helped the once proud, historically black college move past the insane Priscilla Slade disaster and an accreditation-removal threat, the business-minded president was also in charge during several debacles that attracted nationwide scorn.

We want to see TSU succeed and permanently distance itself from its perma-scandal reputation. Dr. Lane – who has worked in higher education all over Texas, including at Sam Houston State, University of Texas at Arlington, and Tyler Junior College – seems to have the credentials to do exact that.

Read the rest: http://www.houstonpress.com/news/do...hern-university-president-austin-lane-8411922

Earlier this week, Texas Southern University announced that Dr. Austin A. Lane, a Lone Star College executive vice chancellor, is slated to become TSU’s 12th president starting in early June. He’ll replace Dr. John Rudley, who announced in December that he would be stepping down at the end of the 2015-2016 academic year.

Assuming the school’s board of regents okays the appointment, Lane, who served as president of the Lone Star College-Montgomery campus from 2009 to 2015, will have his hands full.

Though Rudley, hired in 2008, helped the once proud, historically black college move past the insane Priscilla Slade disaster and an accreditation-removal threat, the business-minded president was also in charge during several debacles that attracted nationwide scorn.

We want to see TSU succeed and permanently distance itself from its perma-scandal reputation. Dr. Lane – who has worked in higher education all over Texas, including at Sam Houston State, University of Texas at Arlington, and Tyler Junior College – seems to have the credentials to do exact that.

Read the rest: http://www.houstonpress.com/news/do...hern-university-president-austin-lane-8411922

Excuse my french but this the fucking bullshit that helped push me away from Houston. Almost every story I read recently about Austin Lane accepting the president role by a Houston-based publication has had a negative narrative and tone about the university .... all doom and gloom and it pisses me off beyond belief. They want to keep TSU down. In Dallas, I rarely read negative stories about TSU and if I do it's normally positive which is why TSU has a more favorable reputation here than in Houston in my opinion.

For example, I just seen a news story by a news station in Houston and the camera focused in on a man (who didn't look like a student bc he had no books or booksack) with his pants sagging reinforcing negative stereotypes about the school

Last edited:
Back