2014 TSU FOOTBALL SEASON

tsuball10 said:
i believe the problem is more with the D line not getting enough pressure on the QB and alabama state will pretty much do the same as a&m they want to run the ball and limit the amount of passing they do.
I agree with your assessment that the D-line isn't providing enough of a pass rush, but I think the run defense has to improve also.  We really are missing Amir Bloom.  Each of the guys in the box must step their game up.  

As for our opponent's game-plan, I think ASU's scheme will be to keep our offense off the field by running the rock,....and working that clock.  On defense they don't have to stop us on every drive because if we can't stop the run we want get too many opportunities on offense.

I tink our game-plan will be to keep our defense off the field, win the special teams game and play turn-over free ball. If we do this our offense will put up enough points to win.

IMO, The key match-up team wise is definitely our defensive guys up front versus their O-line because of how much they like to run.  The key individual match-up is ASU RB Malcolm Cyrus vs. TSU LB Darian Claiborne.

I don't pick against my alma mater, so my prediction is TSU 28 - ASU 24. ASU's running attack will keep the game from being a shoot-out unless turn-overs rule the day.

By the way, welcome aboard tsudad!

Anyone has an update on former player and TSU alum (yes he actually graduated) Joe Anderson ... not too long ago he was all the rage in Chicago and got lots of press.

But unfortunately (normal with fame & money) he soon got involved with some bad PR in regards to public nude pics and cheating on his fiancé.  His career seemed to went the way of his personal life.  Last I read, he was cut from the Philly Eagles like in March 2014.

So any updates?

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
Anyone has an update on former player and TSU alum (yes he actually graduated) Joe Anderson ... not too long ago he was all the rage in Chicago and got lots of press.

But unfortunately (normal with fame & money) he soon got involved with some bad PR in regards to public nude pics and cheating on his fiancé.  His career seemed to went the way of his personal life.  Last I read, he was cut from the Philly Eagles like in March 2014.

So any updates?
Last I saw, he worked out with the Bucs:
https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/507123430131781632

Nelson said:

Interesting, yeah I hope he rides this train til it ends.  It'll be something if the Texans pick him up. 

But I say if nothing works out, he should try a Canadian, European, or Arena league.  And if that doesn't work out, become a personal trainer .... Mr. Anderson is cut and have a great body.  I just hired a pt last year who is a former pro-athlete, he got thousands from me just for 3 months  ... it's a quality career.

What happened last weekend vs Alabama St you guys were the only unbeaten squad in the SWAC 4-0 they took you guys to the perverbial woodshed and delivered a serious beatdown 38-3 hope you get chance for payback also Alcorn is no joke they stomped Southern 56-16!!!!

Too bad it didn't work out with Eagles&Bears Anderson had enough speed (4.44) surprised that the Packers didn't look at him they always look at small school players

The Jets need to call on Anderson they have no one in their WR core that scares ppl on deep routes.

Doing something stupid hope he learns from his mistakes?????

Even the Beats have no deep threats on their WR core Marshall 6-4 230 & Jeffery 6-3 220 are big but no speed demons!!!!

Again you guys got smoked vs Alabama St 38-3 what happened????

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
Interesting, yeah I hope he rides this train til it ends.  It'll be something if the Texans pick him up. 

But I say if nothing works out, he should try a Canadian, European, or Arena league.  And if that doesn't work out, become a personal trainer .... Mr. Anderson is cut and have a great body.  I just hired a pt last year who is a former pro-athlete, he got thousands from me just for 3 months  ... it's a quality career.

He just got signed by CFL team Hamilton Tiger-Cats: http://www.900chml.com/2014/09/30/22896/

dal4018 said:
What happened last weekend vs Alabama St you guys were the only unbeaten squad in the SWAC 4-0 they took you guys to the perverbial woodshed and delivered a serious beatdown 38-3 hope you get chance for payback also Alcorn is no joke they stomped Southern 56-16!!!!

Too bad it didn't work out with Eagles&Bears Anderson had enough speed (4.44) surprised that the Packers didn't look at him they always look at small school players

The Jets need to call on Anderson they have no one in their WR core that scares ppl on deep routes.

Doing something stupid hope he learns from his mistakes?????

Even the Beats have no deep threats on their WR core Marshall 6-4 230 & Jeffery 6-3 220 are big but no speed demons!!!!

Again you guys got smoked vs Alabama St 38-3 what happened????

Yeah, he was pretty talented and the NFL is cracking down on players with bad PR surrounding them ... not gonna be easy but if he has a good agent he can make it happen.

But in regards to ASU, the FCS game of the week, TSU didn't show up.  They were totally at a disarray from the start, I've seen them play better games this year (Alabama A&M).  Alabama State is likely to be conference champions so it wasn't a big upset, but I was disappointed with the lack of quality play and heart ... not b/c they lost.  Even the best lose sometimes.

But I'm expecting them to roll over MVSU Saturday (which will be streaming live).  Putting them in a better position to have a winning season for the first time since I believe 2010.  And remember this is a come up year (we still are under NCAA penalties) and next year we should've arrived and running the SWAC.  Next season we should have all our scholarships back and under no restrictions .... I'm expecting for us to be in the SWAC Championship game next Dec.

What's up with NCCU?

We (NCCU) played vs Towson St  but lost 31-20 as the saying goes back to the drawing board.Will you guys be on tv want to see your QB Jamal Small as stated before he is from my hometown of Asbury Park,NJ is he a redshirt frosh or not read something before saying he was a junior????Hey don't forget Alcorn they destroyed Alabama St last week saw the demolition on ESPNU they are going around saying that they will be in Houston for the SWAC Championship and the starting QB John Gibbs is a Houston native.

Too bad that your league is no longer a automatic qualifier in the 1-AA playoffs have not been in since 99-00!!!!!!

We just played Howard last Saturday and won 27-22 our next opponent is this weekend South Carolina St.This one should be a real test for us because it's getting close to playoff time and NCCU has never represented the MEAC in the 1-AA playoffs.Must find out the deal with Quinn Billerman he was our big recruit from the juco ranks at the QB position but he didn't play vs Howard.Malcolm Bell played completed 20-30 266 yds garnered MEAC player of the week honors!!!!! Both are juniors right now.

TSUDWFTIGER here is some footage of my Eagles in action last weekend vs Howard and South Carolina St is trying to make it way into the top (25) if we can beat them we will definitely gain some recognition from the voters.      

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O5ISrt-OE

All of our home games are available here LIVE on game day and replay anytime:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOi6WntawwV_ZFqC-MMAFpw

I hope that you guys get a chance to be seen on ESPNU I want to see the QB Jamal Smalls again he hails from my home town of Asbury Park,NJ.

dal4018 said:
I hope that you guys get a chance to be seen on ESPNU I want to see the QB Jamal Smalls again he hails from my home town of Asbury Park,NJ.

Our next home game is 10/25 (Homecoming) ... it will be streamed LIVE online on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOi6WntawwV_ZFqC-MMAFpw ... that means you can stream it from your Smart TV, Computer, Playstation, Xbox, Wii, Windows/iPhone/Android/Blackberry apps, etc. Anywhere you can access the internet and visit youtube.

Lost to Morgan St 21-20 missed three FG opportunities today we stomped Savannah St 42-14!!!!

You guys are in a shootout with Pine Bluff !!!!!

dal4018 said:
Grambling has come back to life now they are facing your boys Nelson are they ready?????

I stated this before, our football season is basically over starting the second half of the season.  We might beat JSU and maybe SU but it won't be pretty nor fun to watch.  The play of the football team is obviously beyond questionable, on top of that many of the guys have no discipline nor class which is a reflection of a bad coaching staff (some players got class, but too many don't). 

We have a nice brand new football stadium, homes games are streaming live quite nicely may I add, but we haven't had a winning season since.  For us die hard TSU fans, it's a bit draining and confusing.   We have great athletic facilities, academic programs, location, all this football talent around us (Houston area is notorious for A1 football talent) but yet we can't make .500 ..... it just doesn't add up.  So we must look at the head. Yes I know we still under NCAA penalties, but I now got a feeling once we are out of those penalties next year much won't change. Bad plays will be consistently called, bad sportsmanship, penality calls will continue to be astronomical etc etc.

But I will say this to Ashberry credit, that the team GPA did go up so kudos for that. But I wouldn't be surprise if most of them are General Studies majors which is the easiest major of them all. The problem with college football, is that most of these guys don't come to college to learn and play football. They come to play football and that's one reason why I feel like college athletes should get paid (won't elaborate more but could). I rarely view the student-athletes as traditional students b/c they generally have a college experience totally apart from the traditional student which has its pros and cons .... varies. Most of the student-athletes don't spend much time in class due to travel and other obligations but are expected to know as much as those who do, it's unfair and something got to give .... at least pay them. Hats off to those guys for at least trying to balance both.

honestly to be fair he should have one year under his belt with no restrictions and after that if theres no improvement then we need to start looking for another coach

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
I stated this before, our football season is basically over starting the second half of the season.  We might beat JSU and maybe SU but it won't be pretty nor fun to watch.  The play of the football team is obviously beyond questionable, on top of that many of the guys have no discipline nor class which is a reflection of a bad coaching staff (some players got class, but too many don't). 

We have a nice brand new football stadium, homes games are streaming live quite nicely may I add, but we haven't had a winning season since.  For us die hard TSU fans, it's a bit draining and confusing.   We have great athletic facilities, academic programs, location, all this football talent around us (Houston area is notorious for A1 football talent) but yet we can't make .500 ..... it just doesn't add up.  So we must look at the head. Yes I know we still under NCAA penalties, but I now got a feeling once we are out of those penalties next year much won't change. Bad plays will be consistently called, bad sportsmanship, penality calls will continue to be astronomical etc etc.

But I will say this to Ashberry credit, that the team GPA did go up so kudos for that. But I wouldn't be surprise if most of them are General Studies majors which is the easiest major of them all. The problem with college football, is that most of these guys don't come to college to learn and play football. They come to play football and that's one reason why I feel like college athletes should get paid (won't elaborate more but could). I rarely view the student-athletes as traditional students b/c they generally have a college experience totally apart from the traditional student which has its pros and cons .... varies. Most of the student-athletes don't spend much time in class due to travel and other obligations but are expected to know as much as those who do, it's unfair and something got to give .... at least pay them. Hats off to those guys for at least trying to balance both.
Grambling won 35-7 they might meet Alcorn for the SWAC championship!!!!!

dal4018 said:
Grambling won 35-7 they might meet Alcorn for the SWAC championship!!!!!

They will, totally unexpected but the SWAC really is having a down year.  Only two and a possible quality teams.  I'm just over the coaching staff we have, everybody needs to go.  They are not good at game prep and calling plays.  I hope the next coach doesn't come from the SWAC, we need new ideas, new systems, new style of play. It worked for Alcorn, a white guy from the SEC turned that program around in just one year ..... just we need to think outside the box. This current coaching staff, I'm not excited about and I'm hearing I'm not the only one.

Everyone made a big deal over the hiring of Hobson but no one said anything about the  hiring of Pete Adrian by Norfolk St he is the only white coach in the MEAC.Yes Grambling's turn around was totally unexpected considering all the problems they endured that became publicly known.Alabama St is asking for the resignation of current HC and alum Reggie Barlow.What is the problem with Darryl Asberry????

What happened vs Southern????

dal4018 said:
Everyone made a big deal over the hiring of Hobson but no one said anything about the  hiring of Pete Adrian by Norfolk St he is the only white coach in the MEAC.Yes Grambling's turn around was totally unexpected considering all the problems they endured that became publicly known.Alabama St is asking for the resignation of current HC and alum Reggie Barlow.What is the problem with Darryl Asberry????

What happened vs Southern????

We lost a big rivalry game by 10.  Could've won but this isn't our year for a number of reasons .... next year we should smash them and win the SWAC. If not then things will get ugly for those in charge of the football team.

Back