2014 TSU FOOTBALL SEASON

dal4018 said:
TXSUD how much participation has the incoming frosh had on this team????
Well the upperclassmen/transfer really led the team on all fronts, the frosh hadn't made much of an impact yet in my opinion.  After today the season is over, so I'm expecting for those frosh to turn into useful upperclassmen here on out.

Watch the game live here:
http://www.tigerfans.net/jackson-state-tigers-at-texas-southern-tigers-football-live-stream/

FINAL: JSU 15 TSU 10

TSU finishes 5-6 on the season and 3-6 in the SWAC.

EDIT:
Asberry Era Record:
2012 2-9 (1-7 SWAC, 1-5 Home, 0-4 Away, 1-0 Neutral)
2013 2-9 (2-7 SWAC, 0-5 Home, 2-4 Away)
2014 5-6 (3-6 SWAC, 3-3 Home, 0-3 Away, 2-0 Neutral)

My 2015 Hopes... 
.500 or better overall, .500 or better SWAC, undefeated Home

Nelson said:
FINAL: JSU 15 TSU 10

TSU finishes 5-6 on the season and 3-6 in the SWAC.
Glad it's over, that was a hard season to watch but it's over with all the penalties and play calls.  Looking forward to the 2015 recruiting thread and being officially off all NCAA penalities .... we should attract some pretty good talent and be a serious contender.

This was a very frustrating team to watch, lack of discipline, bad play calling, and no consistent qb play, the coach's will have to do better in developing the qb's. Defense was solid, but gave up to many wide open passes, offense could'nt keep drives going, defense with bad penalty's kept drives going for other team. They only played one frosh on oline, he played pretty well but it should help him for next season, and one frosh who got some time on the dline. Overall Coach Asberry and his staff must do a better job, they seem to have the talent, just need to coach and mold these young men better. I know they have the NCAA penalty's but that does'nt create bad play calling, lack of discipline, or bad qb play, or does it?

tsudad said:
This was a very frustrating team to watch, lack of discipline, bad play calling, and no consistent qb play, the coach's will have to do better in developing the qb's. Defense was solid, but gave up to many wide open passes, offense could'nt keep drives going, defense with bad penalty's kept drives going for other team. They only played one frosh on oline, he played pretty well but it should help him for next season, and one frosh who got some time on the dline. Overall Coach Asberry and his staff must do a better job, they seem to have the talent, just need to coach and mold these young men better. I know they have the NCAA penalty's but that does'nt create bad play calling, lack of discipline, or bad qb play, or does it?
The biggest disappoint to me on offense had to been the QB situation since Ashberry was a QB ..... I expect our QBs to be an all-conference selection on that fact alone (haven't had one since 2010/2011).  There's a lot of work to be done, we have the talent but I'm looking at the head.  If Ashberry doesn't make it over .500 next year, I will organize a campaign to get him out of Houston. 

But I don't understand how there's discipline in the classroom which is awesome (no key players are academically ineligible) but no discipline on the field .... we gave JSU (like every school) that game. A simple I formation slam into the defense would've gave us that 1-yd.  Every school had just about shut down our outside run game this year b/c our blocking lacks in transition but yet we decided to try that as our last play. I just don't understand how the Tiger Fans can see this but not the coaches ("football experts) that are getting paid good money to!? I know I could've honestly have coached the team we had this season to above a .500 record easily. And that whole O-line and D-line needs some super work during this off season ..... those penalties and missed blocking/tackle assignments are beyond reasonable, especially for those looking to play at the next level. If Ashberry was smart he'll try to get in contact with me.

The QB play was very disappointing, and if you have 4 QB's you have none, and rotating them the way that they did showed lack of confidence in any one of them. I have to give the o-line and d-line a better grade than the QB play, their QB's took some sacks they should'nt have, and at sometimes looked like they really did'nt belong on the field. I too have to put it on the head coach, your running game was working up the middle all night, but you try an option for 2yds when you did'nt run well outside all night, that's just bad play calling. And they need to work on clock management, and some type of hurry up offense, i thought they were trying to run out the clock at the pace they were going. And with the discipline, sometimes when a kid screws up out there, you gotta bring him to the sidline and give it to him, let him know he can't keep making the dumb mistakes, and this season these kids made some dumb mistakes over and over and over, that's a very big problem that starts at the top.

I know they recruited some o and d- lineman last year, but i would guess most of these guys played last year? just a question, after the QB you gotta win in the trenches and it all starts up front, know matter how good your QB is, and thats something Coach Asberry should know all to well.

tsudad said:
The QB play was very disappointing, and if you have 4 QB's you have none, and rotating them the way that they did showed lack of confidence in any one of them. I have to give the o-line and d-line a better grade than the QB play, their QB's took some sacks they should'nt have, and at sometimes looked like they really did'nt belong on the field. I too have to put it on the head coach, your running game was working up the middle all night, but you try an option for 2yds when you did'nt run well outside all night, that's just bad play calling. And they need to work on clock management, and some type of hurry up offense, i thought they were trying to run out the clock at the pace they were going. And with the discipline, sometimes when a kid screws up out there, you gotta bring him to the sidline and give it to him, let him know he can't keep making the dumb mistakes, and this season these kids made some dumb mistakes over and over and over, that's a very big problem that starts at the top.

I know they recruited some o and d- lineman last year, but i would guess most of these guys played last year? just a question, after the QB you gotta win in the trenches and it all starts up front, know matter how good your QB is, and thats something Coach Asberry should know all to well.

Nicely put sir.  I could've not said it better .... rotating 4 QBs is like having none (love that observation)!  The only time I see Ashberry turnt up is against the refs.  And I can tell the team doesn't respect him much at all.  I've heard countless interviews from players these last 3 years and NOT ONE I REMEMBERED PRAISED ASHBERRY AS A COACH.  When we had cheating Coach Cole, the team stayed raving about him, and as a result they played well, fans filled up the stadium, alumni support at all time high .... he was clearly looked upon as a paternal figure in these young men lives and they highly respected him which translate to quality play.

In regards to the lineman, that's a question for Nelson or Tigerfans.  I'm not sure.  I know Amir Bloom was a returnee

A lot of the o-line were freshman last year and were out of shape due to the practice restrictions plus not wanting to get into shape on their own. I think we are better than last year, but still weak in the trenches on the offensive side of the ball. None of the QB's could seem to get into a rhythm and I can't blame them, because if I was put in the same situation, I wouldn't know if I was going to get pulled and put right back in randomly in the game. It just doesn't work. It didn't work this year, it didn't work last year.

Nelson I hope those WRs you guys recruited this year get major PT next season with my guy Smalls throwing the deep ball a staple of Coach Asberry while he was at Jackson St in the early millenium!!!!!!!!

Hey will you attend the SWAC Championship this weekend!!!!

I won't be able to attend since I'll be in Arizona this weekend, but several of the members here will be out there

dal4018 said:
Nelson I hope those WRs you guys recruited this year get major PT next season with my guy Smalls throwing the deep ball a staple of Coach Asberry while he was at Jackson St in the early millenium!!!!!!!!

Hey will you attend the SWAC Championship this weekend!!!!

We are die hard Tiger Fans, we only spend our money on our Tigers lol.

But I did watch the game.  It was surprisingly a well-executed game, congrats to the Alcorn community ... their first in 2 decades. Well actually longer than that, in 1994 they shared the title, this is their first out right football title in maybe over 50 years.

I just hope we make it next year, watching the game I was fantasizing about booking my hotel and buying my ticket to watch TSU play. The atmosphere looks amazing and I love the NRG

Not to mention it's our home territory, so we gotta defend it. Even more reason to bring the title home.

Nelson said:
Not to mention it's our home territory, so we gotta defend it. Even more reason to bring the title home.

Exactly and I don't care what PV people say.  PV is not Houston, PV is PV.  PV is not even in Harris County. 

We're the only SWAC school in Houston. Houston is our turf.  If we make it next year I'm expecting for us to be at the very least 20 - 25K deep.  Tiger Nation is a sleeping giant, consistently winning and good press wakes em up.

I watched Averion Hurts highlights and he looks pretty good.  I'm expecting him to see some quality playing time .... I was impressed with his arm.

He's a good signee.

Back