2014 Texas Southern Basketball Thread

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
I like sports trash talk ... can't speak for any of the other TigerFans.net subscribers. But I'm good at it.

What killed us like I said before was the height and speed of Arizona .... They're similar to Kentucky (the heavy favorite) in that aspect. 

I think what Gibbs is missing in size he makes up in heart.  I don't know if you know this or not but he LED THE NATION in minutes played per game.  That's no ignorable feat.  I'm almost sure he has been invited to some professional tryouts and training camps especially since our men's program got so much positive national publicity (even Texas governor tweeted us good luck).

Good luck to you all as well.  I'll be watching the tourney, I think we will feel a bit better if the team that beat us beats everybody and end up National Champions lol.  I will be definitely watching Arizona.

Theres good and bad trash talk.
I hope Gibbs makes it, but the league is so biased against size and perceived potential.  TJ McConnell pretty much leads the UofA, but he isn't getting any sniffs from even the late second round.

its a bit late, but I thought Texas Southern's chance, with its size issues, was to run multiple slow downzones, rather than the offensive blitz the second half it turned into.  Arizona is clueless against even the simplest zones for about 5-7 minutes. 

Any predictions for the Arizona vs Xavier game?  I actually successfully predicted Xavier would be in the Sweet 16

I plan to create a recruiting thread for the 2015-2016 season once it heats up  .... So far I think we only have one commit so far from Colorado.  Hopefully this will be the year of the Big Man ... I'm hoping for at least 2 6'8" or taller guys.

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
Any predictions for the Arizona vs Xavier game?  I actually successfully predicted Xavier would be in the Sweet 16

I plan to create a recruiting thread for the 2015-2016 season once it heats up  .... So far I think we only have one commit so far from Colorado.  Hopefully this will be the year of the Big Man ... I'm hoping for at least 2 6'8" or taller guys.

I'm not a Arizona homer by any means.  I think we will lose to Wisconsin.  Xavier will be no problem.   They are built similarly, but just slightly inferior.  Kaleb Tarc matches up with Stainbrook well. I am not scared of him.

However, if Xavier mixes it up on defense (multiple zones) and Arizona gets frusstrated and starts driving and shooting mid range jumpers aimlessly.....Xavier also needs to hit the 3.  That is actually my advice to every team that plays Arizona.  Unless you are Kentucky, Wisconsin or 3 Okafors, don't try to mix it up inside or run with Arizona.

What do you think will happen?
Typically, where does Texas Southern recruit scholarships from?

TXSUDFWTIGER said:

I think initially it may be a chess match. Sean Miller knows the HC at Xavier -- he was his top assistant when Miller was there. Athletic ability should then take over the game and Arizona will handle Xavier quite easily into the Elite 8.

That one commit is Brian Carey from Denver East HS. He was recently named the Colorado Gatorade Player of the Year. As far as your wish for 2 6'8" or taller guys... I have confidence that Coach Davis' formula for bringing in some highly skilled transfers will continue into next season. Coach Marsh will keep working with the boys on their defensive skills, but I think next season we should be better than this season.

Nelson said:
I think initially it may be a chess match. Sean Miller knows the HC at Xavier -- he was his top assistant when Miller was there. Athletic ability should then take over the game and Arizona will handle Xavier quite easily into the Elite 8.

That one commit is Brian Carey from Denver East HS. He was recently named the Colorado Gatorade Player of the Year. As far as your wish for 2 6'8" or taller guys... I have confidence that Coach Davis' formula for bringing in some highly skilled transfers will continue into next season. Coach Marsh will keep working with the boys on their defensive skills, but I think next season we should be better than this season.
Player of the Year? Wow! I'm impressed, CO is a pretty big state. Now I'm curious what schools he declined .... doing research now.

Just a little taste of what is possible now... just go to ESPN and find a video, copy the url, and watch what happens automatically:

For Example:
Code:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12484827
Becomes:

Back