TSUSports.com: Lindsay Vera hired as TSU's women's soccer coach

TigerFans

Administrator
Staff member
HOUSTON – Texas Southern University has hired Houston native Lindsay Vera to serve as the head women's soccer coach, the university's department of athletics announced Friday.

Vera returns to Houston from North Carolina–Asheville, where she served one year as the head coach.

"I am very excited about the direction Coach Vera is going to take our women's soccer program," TSU's Vice President of Intercollegiate Athletics Kevin Granger said. "She has played and coached at the highest levels of collegiate soccer, and she brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to TSU."

This will be Vera's second stint as a collegiate coach in Texas, as she served as an assistant coach at Texas–Rio Grande Valley for four seasons, beginning with the launch of the women's soccer program in 2014 under head coach Glad Bugariu.

"To say I'm happy to be here would be an understatement," Vera said. "I want to thank Mr. Granger, Ms. Pooler, and Dr. Fisher for choosing me to represent Texas Southern University as their new head soccer coach."

While on the women's soccer staff at UTRGV, Vera helped guide the Vaqueros to their first-ever winning seasons 2016 and 2017. The 2017 season also saw the team claim its first winning record in Western Athletic Conference play, when the Vaqueros went 4-2-1.

During her four-year stint at UTRGV she was also the team's Camp Director and continued her involvement in the RGV youth soccer community.

"I am grateful for the opportunity to return to my home city," Vera said. "I can't wait to get involved with our alumni and surrounding community and continue sharing what this place has to offer.

"TSU produces a new level of student-athletes; ones who are confident, competitive and in love with the game," Vera continued. "I'm anxious to begin leading these young women as we contribute to this already successful athletic department."

Prior to her arrival to UTRGV, Vera served as volunteer assistant coach at NC State from 2011-12. Her responsibilities included assisting in training plans, participating in training sessions, completing NCAA practice logs, reviewing game footage and handling team social media accounts.

Vera also worked for the Capital Area Soccer League (now known as NCFC) in Raleigh, N.C., where she worked as a youth coach and the Director of Marketing from 2009-13. She coached teams between the ages of 9-16 years old, trained players individually and served as a camp coach in the summer. On the marketing side, Vera planned and organized special events; created and maintained sponsorships; implemented fundraising events; updated the club's website and social media; generated presentations and marketing materials for CASL programs and events; and helped facilitate the internship program.

In 2009, former National Team coach, Tony DiCicco selected Vera to the Boston Breakers in the seventh round (43rd overall) of the Women's Professional Soccer draft. The WPS was the highest level of women's professional soccer in North America at the time. There, she trained and competed with U.S. Women's National team players including Kristine Lilly, Shannon Boxx and Amy LePeilbet. Vera also spent time with New Jersey Sky Blue and St. Louis Athletica where she trained alongside Heather O'Reilly, Christie (Rampone) Pierce, and Hope Solo.

During the summer of 2008, Vera was the top scoring threat as a midfielder for the W-League's Carolina RailHawks with 11 points (four goals and three assists) in 14 games and was named to the W-League Team of the Week once during the season.

As a collegiate player, Vera finished her NC State playing career with 27 goals and 67 career points. Her goal output was tied for 10th in program history. She was the Wolfpack's leading scorer in three of her four seasons.

A two-time team captain, Vera earned All-ACC second-team honors during each of her final three seasons after being named to the All-ACC Freshman Team in 2005. She was an NSCAA All-Region selection in 2006; the NC State Team MVP in 2007.

Courtesy: TSU Athletics

Back