TSU president open to working with UT on Houston expansion

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
920x920.jpg

While University of Houston leaders and area lawmakers have fought against the University of Texas' plans to expand on 300 acres in Houston -- calling the move an invasion -- one school in the neighborhood is welcoming the state flagship.

Texas Southern University does not fear a UT "Trojan horse." Rather, the university's president said he wants to see where TSU can fit into the plan.

"I'm not on that bandwagon," Texas Southern President John Rudley said during a meeting with the Houston Chronicle's editorial board Tuesday. "People who have said we're going to push back -- I don't see the substance in the push-back part. I think we all are supposed to be able to listen. It might be a public policy issue where it may help the state of Texas overall."

Read the rest:
http://www.chron.com/local/educatio...pen-to-working-with-UT-on-Houston-6738438.php

UT President is a liar. UT expansion into Houston will be terrible for UH and will hinder them in becoming a Tier 1 university, and it will have a lesser negative impact on TSU. I hope it doesn't happen .... I'm still not clear how this partnership will help the university because it wasn't mentioned.

Rudley should be looking out for the best interest of TSU first, not the state of Texas because he's not a politician. Again, glad he's gone ... I hope our next president is better with a respectable background and education in running a university. Rudley was a got damn accountant

Rudley should be looking out for the best interest of TSU first, not the state of Texas because he's not a politician.
I thought the statement sounded politically motivated trying to get good with someone at UT too.

Yes UT could have good intentions and build something like a research facility that they would want to collaborate with Houston area universities on, but at the end of the day it will be called "The University of Texas..." and that's what the headlines will read, with the content saying "with students from Texas Southern, HBU, Rice, etc.", but we won't be the headliner.

I've read that some believe the whole move is sort of a chess match and leverage for UT, so that UT can decide to support UH for a Big 12 invite and UH stops putting up a fight to prevent the Longhorns from expanding in the Houston market. That's a conspiracy type theory until it's proven true though.

I thought the statement sounded politically motivated trying to get good with someone at UT too.

Yes UT could have good intentions and build something like a research facility that they would want to collaborate with Houston area universities on, but at the end of the day it will be called "The University of Texas..." and that's what the headlines will read, with the content saying "with students from Texas Southern, HBU, Rice, etc.", but we won't be the headliner.

I've read that some believe the whole move is sort of a chess match and leverage for UT, so that UT can decide to support UH for a Big 12 invite and UH stops putting up a fight to prevent the Longhorns from expanding in the Houston market. That's a conspiracy type theory until it's proven true though.

Good point, it does sound politically motivated. I truly don't believe UT have good intentions though ... they see that UH feels threatened by their presence in Houston but yet they continue to press the issue and try to move in. If they have good intentions from the start they would've cancelled all plans to move into Houston once UH made their valid concerns (I think they're valid) clear. After all, UT is already a billion dollar school with all kind of resources and reach, it's not necessary for them to expand into Houston more than they already have ... there's already UT medical schools in the area. I think they're being bullies and just flexing their muscle and/or they is some financial/political gain they're looking at ... it's not about improving Texas, it's about money and power and making UT even more powerful than they already are.

I'm currently a second year graduate student in the UT System (UT Arlington) and from what I see UT is doing just fine as far as power, resources, and reach all over Texas.

And Rudley is trying to set himself up for a job or career after leaving TSU so he's in big kiss ass mode and he's using TSU as a pawn in his self-absorb game .... I'm starting to question if he ever really cared about our alma mater that's so dear to us and so many others.

I

Last edited:
Back