TSU names president search committee

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
920x920.jpg

A group of regents, students, community members and others has been tasked with finding Texas Southern University's next president.

In December, TSU President John Rudley announced he would step down at the end of this year after nine years in the top job. The 14-member search committee, led by TSU Regent Oliver Bell, will interview candidates and whittle the pool down to five or so finalists for regents to consider.

The committee will host forums on campus to get input from students, faculty and staff. Students have used social media over the last several months to organize and push for change at the university, which last year faced turmoil, including multiple shootings on campus that Rudley said were a factor in his decision to leave.

The committee has set a tentative goal of June 1 to name the finalists. The members are:

1. Bell, regent, committee chair
2. Ahunanya Anga, TSU associate professor
3. Alaina Benford, Norton Rose Fulbright, alumnus
4. Dominique Calhoun, TSU student regent
5. Marcus Davis, owner, The Breakfast Klub restaurant
6. Tandra Jackson, KPMG
7. Sherman Lewis, The Lewis Group
8. Jose Medrano, Medrano Insurance Agency
9. Fundi Mwamba, Total Gas & Power, North America, alumnus
10. Crystal Owens, TSU student government president
11. Edward Stemley, Jr., TSU dean, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
12. Marilyn Rose, TSU regent, alumnus
13. Wesley Terrell, TSU regent
14. Mammo Woldie, TSU Professor, Jesse H. Jones School of Business

Source: http://www.chron.com/local/educatio...-names-president-search-committee-6856018.php

Interesting list .... I was expecting to see Thomas F. Freeman and a few others. I just hope it's not Ivory Toldson, I seen his name thrown around so I did my research and he isn't qualified. If he's selected I will go on a hunger strike like the guy from Mizzou.

They should select a finalist by April ... Go Tigers!

Last edited:

I got an email about this today but I can't make it due to midterms and plus I don't live in the area. It's so hard for alumni who live outside Houston to be active and involved. I told the national alumni association this last year. They need to figure out ways to keep us engaged, there should be teleconferencing or live streaming for stuff like this or at the very least sending surveys to get our input.

As you know I'm very opinionated and full of knowledge ... I have some great input I would like to share with the committee. I strongly believe I know what we need.

let's see if I can reach out to the alumni associations to become active here as well...

let's see if I can reach out to the alumni associations to become active here as well...

TSU actually has a pretty engaged and organized alumni network so it can work in your favor. Of course we always hear about the two flagship institutions but we are up there among the best in the state I'm seeing.

As you know I attend a super large UT System institution for grad school and their alumni association is very very small considering the size of the school, pretty inactive overall (my school has alumni that are big donors but they're not really engaged), there's only one real alumni event and that's an alumni recognition dinner every homecoming, and there's only one official alumni chapter and it's located on campus. The alumni association is really unorganized and not well maintained, they went bankrupt 2 years ago and had to start from scratch which surprised me b/c I attend a tier one research institution with a bunch of successful alumni and a 100+ million endowment ... the alumni network exist here but it's very informal, very localized, and not as vibrant as I was hoping.

TSU on the other hand has a very active and engaged alumni association, yearly conferences, active chapters ALL OVER THE COUNTRY (L.A., Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Atlanta, Chicago, D.C., New Orleans, etc), hundreds of official members, and the alumni seem to have a deeper love and appreciation for TSU compared to see what I see at my grad school.

Last edited:
Back