Texas Southern University narrows field to two finalists for president job

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
The list of candidates to be the next president at Texas Southern University in Houston has been whittled to two, the university said.

The TSU board of regents is expected to pick from the two candidates, selected by a search committee led by TSU Regent Oliver Bell. The university will not identify the candidates, but said in a statement this week that the committee interviewed applicants from across the United States in late April.

"The candidates were thoughtful and committed individuals interested in pursuing a unique leadership opportunity to advance the status and reputation of Texas Southern University," TSU board chairman Derrick Mitchell said in the statement.

Previously, Mitchell has said he hopes to name a finalist for the job in May and wants the new president to be in place in June. By Texas law, the sole finalist for president won't be able to take office for 21 days.

TSU President John Rudley, who has led the school since 2008, plans to step down in August. Rudley raised admissions standards at the school and found ways to fund construction, including a new dorm, despite cuts in state funding, and pushed for other improvements at TSU. Despite that, Rudley has butted heads with regents in recent weeks and the faculty senate recently passed a vote of no confidence in him.

Source: http://www.chron.com/local/educatio...tes-for-TSU-president-job-sent-to-7395129.php

The list of candidates to be the next president at Texas Southern University in Houston has been whittled to two, the university said.

The TSU board of regents is expected to pick from the two candidates, selected by a search committee led by TSU Regent Oliver Bell. The university will not identify the candidates, but said in a statement this week that the committee interviewed applicants from across the United States in late April.

"The candidates were thoughtful and committed individuals interested in pursuing a unique leadership opportunity to advance the status and reputation of Texas Southern University," TSU board chairman Derrick Mitchell said in the statement.

Previously, Mitchell has said he hopes to name a finalist for the job in May and wants the new president to be in place in June. By Texas law, the sole finalist for president won't be able to take office for 21 days.

TSU President John Rudley, who has led the school since 2008, plans to step down in August. Rudley raised admissions standards at the school and found ways to fund construction, including a new dorm, despite cuts in state funding, and pushed for other improvements at TSU. Despite that, Rudley has butted heads with regents in recent weeks and the faculty senate recently passed a vote of no confidence in him.

Source: http://www.chron.com/local/educatio...tes-for-TSU-president-job-sent-to-7395129.php

I didn't know he wasn't well liked on campus but he needs to go .... I stop liking him a couple years ago. I said before he did well enough (easy to do when we were so low to the ground) but someone else with more experience needs to come in and really do well and show him how it's suppose to be done. When I was on campus the morale was so low, the campus was more unattractive, school spirit was low, we had a 10% graduation rate so yes things have drastically improved on all fronts but it's still not enough and we got to go further and quickly

TSU enrollment recently dropped under 9K for the first time since the new millennium, we are still not listed in the top 10 of HBCUs even though we should be considering what we have, he's not well-spoken, admission standards need to be heighten even more, we need better fundraising efforts, TSU is TOO EXPENSIVE TODAY, on and so forth.

I'm so excited for the new leader and can't wait to meet him or her.

I'm so excited for the new leader and can't wait to meet him or her.
Definitely this. As much as I did not mind Rudley (he pushed for things previous President's didn't do, ie: minimum standards, athletics, beautification of campus, more on-campus housing, etc), I will be excited for the next leader as I hope and believe they will continue to push TSU forward. TSU will continue to be progressive in all areas and become better in every way.

Definitely this. As much as I did not mind Rudley (he pushed for things previous President's didn't do, ie: minimum standards, athletics, beautification of campus, more on-campus housing, etc), I will be excited for the next leader as I hope and believe they will continue to push TSU forward. TSU will continue to be progressive in all areas and become better in every way.[/QUOTEd

Rudley made changes a 10 year old could've thought of (let's not give him too much credit, everything he did I said needed to be done freshmen year), we need someone who's a true visionary and will come up with innovative ways to push the university into the national spotlight for good. Only time TSU get positive recognition is for sports to be honest .... TSU has the potential to be some much more but we just need the right leaders.

I'm sure enrollment will drop again due to the shootings last fall, I noticed on social media lots of freshmen/etc saying they're not coming back due to feeling unsafe which I understand. I'm hoping that's not the case but I'm sure it will be

TSU needs to aggressively recruit top students by offering them full scholarships, get a better PR team, get a better alumni director (the one we have ain't worth shit and I told her that in so many words, she don't do her job and is simply there to collect a check), do more research and publicize it, and raise admission standards simple as that.

Some are downplaying the improvements Rudley made but i did not notice the prior 2 administrations doing it it it was so elementary and easy. Some say they dont like him. i could could care less if i like the new president, i am looking for results.

Austin Lane has been named the new TSU president

This reminds me of when Lebron announced he was leaving cold and sorry ass Cleveland for hot and sexy Miami. Big ole production lol.

My initial thoughts:
Good ...
1) He's an HBCU graduate (Langston)
2) He has strong college leadership experience
3) He's well spoken (I found a youtube video)
4) Great resume
5) He did extensive research on low-income black and hispanic children and getting them to college :)

Bad ...
1) I bet he's a Republican
2) He's not married .... it's frowned upon to not be married in a leadership position like that.
3) He has no strong ties to Houston/Harris county (only the northern Montgomery county suburbs)
4) What will his relationship be like with our athletic department? Rudley was heavily invested because his philosophy was that athletics were the front door to the university.

I look forward to meeting him and vetting him out. And I look forward to see what changes he's looking to make.

He's taking over TSU at a great time .... when Rudley took it over we were in the pits (morale and image wise). Now we are further off the ground.

I read his bio and looks diversified. He was a basketball player so he knows what sports can do for the athlete and institution. Sounds like he is pretty smart. It appears he is comfortable in the majority community and minority community.

I read his bio and looks diversified. He was a basketball player so he knows what sports can do for the athlete and institution. Sounds like he is pretty smart. It appears he is comfortable in the majority community and minority community.

Yeah, my first impression is positive however the Board of Regents are the problem I hear .... I'm hearing a lot of pettiness and foolishness from their end. And they can make his life a living hell if he doesn't dance to their beat .... as much as I dislike Rudley, they ran his ass out.

According to the bio put out by the university He is married, He is a member of Wheeler Ave and His father and late mother in law attended TSU and he played basketball at the juco level so i hope we can check 3 of the bads off the list. I am a republican on some issues like President Obama tying this sexual orientation issue to federal dollars for schools. That is insane and if that is going to a democratic plank i am out. I am with republicans , we have many more problems then where the the probably 1/2 percent of transgender people use the restroom. Most men on the golf course just find a tree. I am going to pray for the success of this President and the board. Let get on board with an positive open mind.

This reminds me of when Lebron announced he was leaving cold and sorry ass Cleveland for hot and sexy Miami. Big ole production lol.

My initial thoughts:
Good ...
1) He's an HBCU graduate (Langston)
2) He has strong college leadership experience
3) He's well spoken (I found a youtube video)
4) Great resume
5) He did extensive research on low-income black and hispanic children and getting them to college :)

Bad ...
1) I bet he's a Republican
2) He's not married .... it's frowned upon to not be married in a leadership position like that.
3) He has no strong ties to Houston/Harris county (only the northern Montgomery county suburbs)
4) What will his relationship be like with our athletic department? Rudley was heavily invested because his philosophy was that athletics were the front door to the university.

I look forward to meeting him and vetting him out. And I look forward to see what changes he's looking to make.
I'm gonna be lazy and ask for examples as I try and do some research myself. I like seeing where people pulled their info from if possible, especially for others to see. I'll be back today with info myself.

According to the bio put out by the university He is married, He is a member of Wheeler Ave and His father and late mother in law attended TSU and he played basketball at the juco level so i hope we can check 3 of the bads off the list. I am a republican on some issues like President Obama tying this sexual orientation issue to federal dollars for schools. That is insane and if that is going to a democratic plank i am out. I am with republicans , we have many more problems then where the the probably 1/2 percent of transgender people use the restroom. Most men on the golf course just find a tree. I am going to pray for the success of this President and the board. Let get on board with an positive open mind.
Here is the bio released by TSU:

Attachments

• newtsupresidentannouncementx051616.pdf
    275.6 KB · Views: 1
460x1240.jpg

New president chosen for Texas Southern University
By Benjamin Wermund
May 16, 2016 Updated: May 16, 2016 10:23pm

In his past jobs as a college administrator, Austin A. Lane worked to drive up enrollment at the schools he helped lead. That will likely be one of his biggest challenges when he takes the helm this summer at Texas Southern University.

The Texas Southern board of regents Monday night unanimously picked Lane as the university's next president. Lane, who has family ties to the historically black university, has been second-in-command at the Lone Star College System since January 2015. He will succeed John Rudley, who has led the school since 2008.

"I've followed TSU for years, and I feel like I'm coming home," Lane, 45, said in an interview after the meeting.

The announcement wraps up a months-long search for a new leader. Lane was one of 50 who applied. The board spent nearly 12 hours behind closed doors in a small Marriott meeting room Thursday, interviewing two finalists for the job. They debated until 3 a.m. Friday who would be the right person to lead the university but did not make a decision.

In his interview with the board last week, Lane presented the regents with a 90-day plan, the first 30 days of which focused heavily on recruitment efforts, including tapping into the area's community colleges and high schools.

"Bottom line, Dr. Lane just was on point," board chair Derrick Mitchell said. "He taught me some things about Texas Southern I didn't even know. He's done his homework."

Enrollment ,which reached as high as 11,635 in 2004, has been a major issue in recent years for Texas Southern.

A nearly 10 percent enrollment drop - driven by changes to the federal Pell Grant program - left the university with 7,744 full-time students and a $7 million shortfall in 2014. The school has about 500 more students now; with state funding largely tied to enrollment, fluctuations can lead to big funding cuts at a small school like TSU. College leaders have said they expect to have just $2 million in cash at the end of the fiscal year.

Lane, who currently helps run a community college system with seven campuses, served as president of Lone Star's Montgomery campus for six years, from 2009 to 2015. Full-time enrollment at the school grew by 20 percent during that time to 12,000 students. The number of degrees awarded at the campus nearly doubled during his tenure, from 538 in 2009 to 1,016 in 2015, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Lane also directed a collegewide enrollment-management team as a vice president at Tyler Junior College in Tyler, where he worked before joining Lone Star and, according to his online biography, helped push enrollment there to a record level.

Besides a leader who can drive enrollment, Texas Southern needs someone who "has a lot of energy, is student-centered, respects faculty governance, and can raise money really well," said Marybeth Gasman, director of the Penn Center for Minority-Serving Institutions at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on historically black colleges and universities.

"I'd love to see someone new on the scene to really breathe fresh air into TSU," Gasman said. "I'd like to see someone who inserts TSU into national conversations."

Lane, who has three degrees including a bachelor's in psychology from Langston University, another historically black college in Oklahoma, has ties to TSU. His father-in-law and mother-in-law both attended Texas Southern. Larry Williams, his father-in-law, took classes with Mickey Leland, the former Texas congressman, and was best man in Leland's wedding.

Lane and his wife, Loren, have three children and are members of Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church near Texas Southern.

By state law, Lane, for now technically the sole finalist, won't be able to take the president's position for 21 days. The regents said he will start in June. His predecessor, Rudley, was previously set to leave the school in August, but the regents said Monday night that he will stick around as an adviser to Lane for at least six months.

During his tenure, Rudley raised admissions standards, found ways to fund construction including a new dorm despite cuts in state funding, and pushed for other university improvements. Despite those successes, Rudley in recent months has butted heads with regents and the faculty senate passed a vote of no confidence.

Rudley suggested at a recent regents meeting that his upcoming departure was largely due to change on the board.

"I've been around this business for over 20 years," Rudley said during a contentious March meeting of the board. "I know how when boards change, the winds change, relationships change. ... From a personal standpoint, I should be smart enough to know the table is laid out, and the table laid out was not conducive for me to stay at TSU any longer."

Despite the tension with regents and faculty, the university on Saturday presented Rudley with a medal of honor at the TSU graduation ceremony.

On Monday night, board members said their vote was also a show of confidence in Rudley, whom they have asked to stick around beyond August, when he had planned to leave. The regents said he is welcome to stay on as long as Lane needs his help.

Reproduced via the Houston Chronicle: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...sen-for-Texas-Southern-University-7518287.php

Back