Memphis basketball: Josh Pastner reached out to Jim Calhoun early in coaching career

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
usatsi_9087532.jpg

MEMPHIS -- Twenty years ago this month, a baby-faced Josh Pastner stared at the world from the pages of Sport magazine, under the headline "Boy Scout."

"He was just a tremendous kid," Jim Calhoun recalled. "He loved the game. He got into high-level talent evaluation real early."

Pastner, at 18, was pursuing his own playing career, but was looking ahead to a career of coaching, evaluating, recruiting. His father, Hal, was a major figure in AAU basketball in the Houston area and Josh was also coaching, working one summer with Emeka Okafor.

Read the rest: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ll-josh-pastner-reached-out-jim-calhoun-early

What intrigued me:
Memphis hired him at age 31 to replace John Calipari, an unenviable task.

"Look, it can all be taken away," Pastner said as practice was about to begin Wednesday, "I'm the head coach at Memphis, I got the job at 31. I tried to get Texas Southern, tried to get Prairie View A&M and they wouldn't give me an interview.

This come out when he became the head coach at Memphis. If I remember correctly, he came to TSU many times and hung around to be considered for the head coaching position.

This come out when he became the head coach at Memphis. If I remember correctly, he came to TSU many times and hung around to be considered for the head coaching position.
This apparently was over 8 years ago... I was unaware, but its interesting to see the people who were interested in the position.

Back