Jackson State Dome Project a Disaster of a Plan

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
Jackson State has an image problem. The SWAC school wants to build a $200 million domed stadium, an arena that would be used for football, basketball and other sports, while being available to the area for almost 100 events per year.

That sounds great. But there is a problem, and it has to do with the first part of that second sentence. Jackson State plays in the SWAC.

By now most people are aware of the issues with being one of the HBCUs: the long road trips, the body-bag games -- many times just to fund the season, the lack of resources that seem almost commonplace at other schools. So how can one of those schools, one that finished just 11-20 in basketball this past season, think that it has the need for a stadium like this?

Leave alone the football attendance, which Mississippi Watchdog's Steve Wilson outlined in his piece on the doomed dome. The Tigers just don't have the draw to fill 50,000 seats.

Read the rest: http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/10/2/6897051/jackson-state-dome-project-disaster-mississippi

Nelson said:
Read the rest: http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/10/2/6897051/jackson-state-dome-project-disaster-Mississippi
 I have cousins in MS that's die hard Jackson State fans and my Dad played football there.  So I'm very familiar with J-State.  With that said, this won't work.  Most people in Jackson are poor, the city itself is extremely boring and not a draw, more people are trying to leave Jackson then move there, and most graduates leave the state .... so in other words they don't have the financial backing to support a venture like this. 

Jackson State has a great fan base for football but really that's it .... they don't really support anything else.  And actually the football support has gone down since the school has been plagued with mediocre teams and higher ticket prices, they use to average over 40K+ fans when my Dad played. This would be great for the people of Jackson but Jackson is a hellhole and no one will not invest in it, I hate to say but it's true ... it's one of the worst quality of life cities in the Deep South. For example can you believe that there's no movie theatre there, not one within the Jackson city limits, you have to go to the white suburban areas just to see a good movie ... no one wants to invest there, I never stayed longer than one day when I visited. Have you been Nelson?

I've never stayed there longer than a few hours and I agree it's not somewhere I'd like to be personally. I can't believe that there's not even a movie theatre in the city limits though. That is somewhat surprising.

Nelson said:
I've never stayed there longer than a few hours and I agree it's not somewhere I'd like to be personally. I can't believe that there's not even a movie theatre in the city limits though. That is somewhat surprising
JSU is surprisingly a beautiful school with one of the best HBCU campuses I've seen period (HBCU or non-HBCU) but outside that Jackson is depressing ... fortunately the downtown area is going through major renovations but it's not enough.  I think there's likely just as many if not more Jackson State alums in TX (specifically Houston) compared to Jackson.  Every Jackson State graduate I know lives in Houston, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Atlanta, or D.C. area.

This kind of reminds me of Chandler Parsons comment that downtown Houston is dirtier and uglier than downtown Dallas.  I lived in both and I have to agree, Dallas is nicer but hey that's just my opinion lol.  However, I love Houston for the more pronounced diversity and cosmopolitan feel ... Houston has more skyscrapers than Dallas and that's always super cool to be able to see the skyline from practically anywhere within the city.

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
JSU is surprisingly a beautiful school with one of the best HBCU campuses I've seen period (HBCU or non-HBCU) but outside that Jackson is depressing ... fortunately the downtown area is going through major renovations but it's not enough.  I think there's likely just as many if not more Jackson State alums in TX (specifically Houston) compared to Jackson.  Every Jackson State graduate I know lives in Houston, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Atlanta, or D.C. area.

This kind of reminds me of Chandler Parsons comment that downtown Houston is dirtier and uglier than downtown Dallas.  I lived in both and I have to agree, Dallas is nicer but hey that's just my opinion lol.  However, I love Houston for the more pronounced diversity and cosmopolitan feel ... Houston has more skyscrapers than Dallas and that's always super cool to be able to see the skyline from practically anywhere within the city.
Downtown Dallas is nicer than downtown Houston to me. Houston is the city of the future though... growth, space (not NASA), and oil is fueling the city. The disorganized feel sometimes is due to the lax regulations on what you can build and where (zoning laws), but that's also what attracts developers.

Nelson said:
Downtown Dallas is nicer than downtown Houston to me. Houston is the city of the future though... growth, space (not NASA), and oil is fueling the city. The disorganized feel sometimes is due to the lax regulations on what you can build and where (zoning laws), but that's also what attracts developers.

In 3 years, we won't even recognize the "old" Houston.  The construction and new highways are changing it for the better .... downtown is going through a massive overhaul.  But yeah the zoning laws is crazy and secretly why the traffic is so bad (complicated urban development concept).  One time it took me 2 hrs to go 13 miles down the street and back.

But I also read that they're projecting Katy to be as big as Pittsburg in the next 3 years, that's how much growth is going on there. I've been to every pocket of Houston except Katy and the "Lakes" area. I hope to visit one day.

Back