Alabama State at Texas Southern Football Preview

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
1 Swapping coaches: In a rare exchange of coaches, ASU picked up the fired Texas Southern head coach Kevin Ramsey as its defensive coordinator, and TSU grabbed the fired ASU coordinator Cedric Thornton as its linebackers coach. Despite Thornton’s familiarity with the Hornets, ASU head coach Reggie Barlow said it won’t pose a problem Saturday. “Obviously, Thornton will be able to tell them about our personnel, but so much has changed,” Barlow said. “Plus they get film. He doesn’t know signals and all that. If he was a (former) offensive coach, it might be something we’d have to think about.”

Read the rest (#2, 3, & 4): http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20131004/SPORTS02/310040037/ALABAMA-STATE-TEXAS-SOUTHERN

FINAL SCORE: ALABAMA STATE 34 - TEXAS SOUTHERN 2

Box score: http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=332782640

My observations:
  • Attendance was pretty bad, but I saw worse at the 11am game last year. Still mid-season though...
  • O-Line blocking was terrible. Very terrible. It's like they don't want to play. What's the deal? I'm sure we have someone who's playing behind the starters that want to play. Hell, suit up the guys from the band who participated at halftime! (kidding). The center also must've snapped the ball poorly about 4-5 times if I remember correctly. This is no good for any quarterback. Jay Christophe took his first series and we lost the ball in our own red zone because of a bad snap.
  • -38 total rushing yards (-83 rushing by Homer Causey from sacks) -- A LOT of this has to do with the play at the line of scrimmage. If you lose the battle at the line, you simply cannot win. MICHAEL VICK would not be able to be successful on this team. PEYTON MANNING would have a season ending injury. The other part of this was Homer simply not thinking. He ran backwards and tried to dance and juke his way around defenders. That would be fine, but there were always 3+ defenders coming at him who just skipped through the o-line. He refused to throw the ball away, and the ONE time he did, he didn't throw it past the line of scrimmage (grounding).
  • Daveonn Porter managed to get 33 yards on 10 carries which is not bad considering he had no help from the o-line. There was a play that sticks out in my mind where he ran what looked like a Power-O and he was left all by himself on the right side surrounded by 7 white jerseys while the rest of TSU was still at the line. THEY GAVE UP! It's ridiculous and I feel for the players who are actually trying to work.
  • Defense did decent. They would've done better had they wrapped up on tackles and pursued the offensive player instead of waiting on them to get juked out of their shoes. They also got burned on the deep ball (memories of last year). I'm a little surprised ASU didn't try and throw more deep passes. They were also terrible against the run. When you don't wrap up these guys, of course they're going to squeeze and extra 4 ypc on you.
  • Coach Darrell Asberry and QB Coach Gino Simoni: Nowhere to be found in the first half although I believe they were up in the press box :-/
  • Coach Roberts (O-Line) was talking to his boys, but they didn't seem to care and he was like "fuck it" in my eyes. Sad to say.
  • Coach Vite was getting in the defense's ass and motivating them. Shows that he cares. At least about his job.
Long story short, we're seeing the same problems week to week. There has been little progression from a majority of the team. We're playing like we're in week 1 still. What's the problem? Indifference by the players or simply bad coaching? ... my opinion? Here's an example article: Sean Payton.

TSU Searching for Answers After Loss to Alabama State: http://forwardtimesonline.com/2013/index.php/sports/item/538-tsu-searching-for-answers-after-loss-to-alabama-state

Back