TXSU VOLLEYBALL LOOKING LIKE SWAC CHAMPS!?!

TXSUDFWTIGER

@Nelson like I predicted in a previous TXSU Volleyball thread (not to brag but hey lol) .... the TXSU Lady Tigers are kicking butt and taking names in the SWAC this year.

Even though they were predicted to finish 2nd in the West and 3rd Overall, they're currently #1 and have one of the best records in the conference.

Only 3 teams can possibly knock them from winning the SWAC Championship this year and that is 1) Traditional SWAC Volleyball Powerhouse - Alabama A&M  2) Defending Champion - Jackson State 3) And up and coming - Alabama State ... all East teams.

Nevertheless, I see us winning it all and bringing the hardwood back to Houston. They are starting to really rock and roll and have the fire power to get that 2013 'Ship.  They haven't won one in well over a decade so this is a really special time right now.  Volleyball is my 3rd favorite sport tied with Track & Field so I definitely follow TXSU Volleyball.

#GOTXSUTigers!

TXSUDFWTIGER pid=389 dateline=1381522637 said:
@Nelson like I predicted in a previous TXSU Volleyball thread (not to brag but hey lol) .... the TXSU Lady Tigers are kicking butt and taking names in the SWAC this year.

Even though they were predicted to finish 2nd in the West and 3rd Overall, they're currently #1 and have one of the best records in the conference.

Only 3 teams can possibly knock them from winning the SWAC Championship this year and that is 1) Traditional SWAC Volleyball Powerhouse - Alabama A&M  2) Defending Champion - Jackson State 3) And up and coming - Alabama State ... all East teams.

Nevertheless, I see us winning it all and bringing the hardwood back to Houston. They are starting to really rock and roll and have the fire power to get that 2013 'Ship.  They haven't won one in well over a decade so this is a really special time right now.  Volleyball is my 3rd favorite sport tied with Track & Field so I definitely follow TXSU Volleyball.

#GOTXSUTigers!
I agree... and you called it here. I've been watching them and @[tsuball10] has as well. We think they are extremely competitive and definitely have a legitimate shot at bringing home this conference title! If we do, I also believe we have a team that's scrappy enough to be competitive in the Women's Volleyball Championship tournament in December even though it'd likely be a top 4 team in the bracket.

Nelson pid=390 dateline=1381638008 said:
I agree... and you called it here. I've been watching them and @[tsuball10] has as well. We think they are extremely competitive and definitely have a legitimate shot at bringing home this conference title! If we do, I also believe we have a team that's scrappy enough to be competitive in the Women's Volleyball Championship tournament in December even though it'd likely be a top 4 team in the bracket.

We'll see.  And I have a full volleyball video of the TXSU Lady Tigers in action vs UAPB below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuKNgXa71jY

First time seeing them in action this season and I noticed ....

1) Great Strong Hitters (best I've seen @ TXSU)
2) Good Serving Team (could be more aggressive though)
3) Good Blocks

The biggest problem I see is again non-aggressive serving and also the 1st digs/setting can be more concise.  But good enough to win SWAC and the teams left for the regular season.

It was entertaining to watch them play, a powerful hitting squad this year.

looks like we picked up a hard fought win last night great job big test vs alabama state on saturday

tsuball10 pid=412 dateline=1382540313 said:
looks like we picked up a hard fought win last night great job big test vs alabama state on saturday
Yes I knew SU was going to play like they life depended on it b/c TSU is the #1 team.

But ASU is the other best SWAC team with a decent squad.  But I know we can beat them.  If we beat ASU, we will finish the season undefeated in SWAC.  I know they gon be hype so the energy level is gonna be there ... just execution is needed.  Will be interesting ....

Alabama State was beaten in 5 sets... ending their 11 game win streak and extending ours to 8!

Nelson pid=426 dateline=1383135198 said:
Looks like we lost to lowly Southern yesterday :(

I knew they were gonna lose @ SU. Every game they played this year with SU was close .... so apparently there's a heated rivalry between the teams which means records go out the door when they play. 

But I believe we will win if we play them again in the SWAC Tournament.  They are gonna wanna avenge that loss that cost them an undefeated SWAC regular season. 

We should finish the rest of the SWAC regular season without a loss.  This loss hopefully is a wake up call for them to work harder .... winning too much can get you too complacent.

Texas Southern 3, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 0
(25-19, 25-22, 25-22)
BOX SCORE
HOUSTON, Texas - Texas Southern picked up a 3-0 victory over Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Friday at H&PE Arena.

TSU (12-9, 6-1) won the match with set scores of 25-19, 25-22, 25-22.

Robyn Shannon and Kali Fluke led the Lady Tigers' offense tallying 15 kills apiece.

Jyra Churchill and Sarah Wooten posted double figures to lead the court in assists. Churchill registered 32 and Wooten followed with 10.

Veronica Azubuike registered nine digs to help power TSU’s defense.

For UAPB (10-21, 3-4), Ayanna Parker had a team-high of 10 kills while tacking on three digs while Audrey Sherles followed with seven. Courtney Brand recorded seven kills for the Lady Lions. Jordan Foyer paced UAPB with 31 assists.

Source: http://www.swac.org/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209296226&DB_OEM_ID=27400

Back