TSUSports.com: TSU's McClelland named New SWAC Commissioner

TigerFans

Administrator
Staff member

General | 8/13/2018 6:08:00 PM |

TSU's McClelland named New SWAC Commissioner

HOUSTON –
Dr. Charles McClelland, who took over the helm of Texas Southern University Athletics more than 10 years ago, has resigned to become the next commissioner of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC). Kevin Granger, currently serving as TSU's Assistant Athletics Director, will take over as Interim Athletics Director immediately, as the university conducts a national search for McClelland's replacement.

"I want to publicly thank Dr. McClelland for his hard work and many accomplishments at TSU," said TSU President Dr. Austin A. Lane. "I served on the the SWAC commissioner hiring committee, so this was naturally a tough decision. We hate to lose him, but he is really committed to taking the SWAC to the next level. We wish him nothing but success in his new role."

"It's been an honor and a privilege to serve TSU for the past 10 years," said Dr. McClelland. "I've been surrounded by wonderful people, and this has been one of the best family work environments I've ever experienced. I am excited to be the new commissioner, and I want to take the same energy and effort we have put forth here at TSU and spread it across all nine SWAC institutions."

As Vice President of Intercollegiate Athletics, McClelland supervised a total of 16 sports - nine women's and seven men's. During his tenure, McClelland elevated the athletics program to a higher level as it relates to athletics, academics, facilities and overall brand visibility. Additionally, McClelland led the athletic department to significant, year over year improvements in the Academic Progress Rate and Graduation Success Rate among its student athletes.

Perhaps his biggest facility achievement, McClelland played a large role in finalizing a deal with the Houston Dynamo soccer team to share the newly constructed 22,000 seat BBVA Compass Stadium for Tigers football. The Texas Southern Tigers football team began playing in their new home in 2012. Located in Downtown Houston BBVA Compass stadium is a state of the art facility with all of the amenities and features of a premier sports venue.

Granger joined the Texas Southern University as Athletics Operations Manager in 2008, the same year that McClelland joined the university. His primary responsibilities include processing athletic contracts, team travel, ticketing and managing TSU athletic facilities.

Before coming to Texas Southern, Granger was the head boy's basketball coach at Worthing High School from 2001 to 2007. In his last year, he led his team to the 19-4A Regional Boy's basketball finals. He was also named 2007 19-4A Coach of the Year. Granger was a star player for TSU's basketball team from 1992-96, and was the
Division I leading scorer in 1996.

"I'm extremely excited to lead TSU athletics into its next chapter," said Granger. "Having been a former player and coach at TSU, and having worked directly under Dr. McClelland, it means the world to me to have this opportunity, and I thank Dr. Lane for having the confidence in me to fill this role."

Granger received the President's Award (1996) as the top student-athlete at TSU and he still ranks among the all-time greats in the university's basketball history is several categories. Granger's number 10 was retired in 2002.

He also spent three years playing professional basketball overseas in Italy, Cyprus and Argentina. He has a bachelor's degree in business from TSU (2000). He is married to Tracey and they have two boys (Kevin, Jr. and Kolby) and one girl (Kennah).

ABOUT TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY

Texas Southern University (TSU) honors our designation as a special-purpose institution for urban programming and research. TSU is a comprehensive university providing higher education access to the nation's underserved communities. TSU's academic and research programs address critical urban issues, and prepares its diverse student population to become a force for positive change in a global society. TSU offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs and concentrations – bachelor's, master's, doctoral and professional degrees – organized into 10 colleges and schools on a 150-acre campus nestled in the heart of Houston's historic Third Ward. The University's enrollment has a population of more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate-school academic candidates. Texas Southern has been a distinguished educational pioneer since 1927, and the University has become one of the most diverse and respected institutions in Texas. TSU has positioned itself as a proactive leader in educating underserved students and many who are the first in their family to attend college.

Courtesy: TSU Athletics

Last edited by a moderator:
Back