TSU New Dorms in 2015

TXSUDFWTIGER

It looks as if the new dorms will be in fact ready in 2015 which I'm excited to hear.

Having a student housing compound such as this on campus will definitely improve the graduation rates, retention rates, and draw more outstanding incoming freshman/transfers

But unsure if it will have a noticeable impact on athletic attendance ... any thoughts? I will like to think so but some might consider the dorms a far walk to H&PE a night for one (they do shuttles on campus to the football games so students don't have to really go anywhere).

http://www.tsu.edu/About/Administration/Campus_Services_and_Operations/Residential_Life__Housing/default.php

Here's the work zone cam in you're interested: http://www.workzonecam.com/projects/horizon/tsunewstudent/workzonecam

I believe (and personally can attest to this) that dorms create a community feel. People you might not normally interact with, you end up being good friends with simply because there was a common denominator with the dorms. No more "I wonder who's going to the game" and more of a small town "Oh, such and such is going to the game, so I'll go too" type mentality. TSU Pride will increase as they will feel at home and more in tune with the campus as well. Lazy people will be lazy, but if peer pressure is a MF and if Bobby and Joe are going then I gotta go too.

Nelson said:
Here's the work zone cam in you're interested: http://www.workzonecam.com/projects/horizon/tsunewstudent/workzonecam

I believe (and personally can attest to this) that dorms create a community feel. People you might not normally interact with, you end up being good friends with simply because there was a common denominator with the dorms. No more "I wonder who's going to the game" and more of a small town "Oh, such and such is going to the game, so I'll go too" type mentality. TSU Pride will increase as they will feel at home and more in tune with the campus as well. Lazy people will be lazy, but if peer pressure is a MF and if Bobby and Joe are going then I gotta go too.

They do, I stayed in a 2-BR Tierwester Oaks and it seemed as if the students who stayed in the dorms or UAV were "closer" and knew each other better.  Which is understandable.

I had privacy so I could've easily isolated myself and then I had less ppl in my building ... those other two housing spots were the exact opposite  But I did have some memorable bonding moments roommates/floormates/buildingmates. But after Freshman year I was ready to graduate and didn't really get a chance to really bond with my fellow Tierwester mates b/c the years flew by and I was so busy .  But what's odd is I've grown closer to some now that we've graduated, despite now living in different cities and being just as busy .... super strange.

But yeah you're right, I guess it will definitely help. I mean campus life in 3rd Ward can get monotonous and games are a way to liven it up.   But it doesn't look like they will finish in time .... they must plan to work overtime most of next year.  Nor do I see where students can park ... I see no parking garages being built unless they park in the JHJ/TMSL parking lot which is huge to me.  It'll be interesting to see how it looks, I plan to take a personal tour next year b/c I'm nosey and I enjoy fine architecture .... this dorm will be very fancy and I would imagine expensive.  I couldn't afford TSU today, I could only afford HCC or something like that lol ... a coworker son goes to TSU and she's delaying retirement to help finance it.

Nelson said:

I agree that it creates the community feel. I stayed in the dorms my first year, and in Tierwester my 2nd year and it definitely helped with my pride for the University. Me and most of the guys in my dorms hung around campus, and went to all the events. 

TSUalum05 said:
I agree that it creates the community feel. I stayed in the dorms my first year, and in Tierwester my 2nd year and it definitely helped with my pride for the University. Me and most of the guys in my dorms hung around campus, and went to all the events. 
I have to walk through the campus.  I have no idea where the building is. It can only help attendance.

BBALLWILL said:
I have to walk through the campus.  I have no idea where the building is. It can only help attendance.

It is where the old YMCA use to be and I think the library is next to get a total make over I could be wrong though

I'm sure the month and a half of constant rain didn't help the construction move forward as quickly as anticipated, but if there's any penalty or reward for finishing late/early then I'm sure it will be done... just gotta make sure of the quality once it is complete.

iS IT SUPPOSE TO BE READY FROM SEPTEMBER. IF SO I DONT SEE IT. I PASSED BY THERE LAST SATURDAY.

Nelson said:
let me get Dr. Rudley in these forums to let us know what's going on

They've been advertising Fall ... also I heard no freshman are allowed to live off-campus (especially those outside of Houston).  So I'm like where they gone put them ...

But I think they will truly be done by January .... mark my words. Basketball attendance will increase, when I was on campus we would go all the time just out of boredom (we had a terrible team).

Yeah they were supposed to be done by September and that was delayed because the contractor didn't finish in time. I believe they should be ready by now.

Yeah they were supposed to be done by September and that was delayed because the contractor didn't finish in time. I believe they should be ready by now.

Please tell me the dorms are done ... I haven't seen any pics or anything saying it's open.

They're not done ... Rudley can't leave fast enough. I haven't heard of any replacements tho ... we don't need an interim we need a replacement asap. I'm hoping they select Ivory Toldson who's the ED of the WHIHBCU

Back