TigerFans.net on KCOH

TigerFans

Administrator
Staff member
In case you missed it yesterday, TigerFans.net was on Sports Rap with Ralph Cooper on KCOH.

We will be on the air again on Thursday in the 6 o'clock hour, so tune in on 1230AM or online here: http://tunein.com/radio/KCOH-1230-s34894/

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5AhA9qfOA[/video]

I listened on my way to work this morning .... never heard of the show but I might start tuning in more often.  I rarely get tired of hearing about TSU athletics and the need for more support.  However, I do feel like we're headed in the right direction, I believe we're one of the more supportive ones when you factor in more than just football ....

But it's not uncanny that most HBCUs struggle with support and game spirit compared to non-HBCUs.  I went to a mostly white, large high school and we showed out .... we always had painted students, a student section, we had on our school colors, very loud, alumni at the game, just an overall live buzz.  But that was never matched when we played against Black or Hispanic schools.  They would be sorta live at times but it took way more ... just how it is. But I feel again that's changing, I think black sports fan want to prove the Atlanta Hawk owner wrong (whom I agree with but hey) lol

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
I listened on my way to work this morning .... never heard of the show but I might start tuning in more often.  I rarely get tired of hearing about TSU athletics and the need for more support.  However, I do feel like we're headed in the right direction, I believe we're one of the more supportive ones when you factor in more than just football ....

But it's not uncanny that most HBCUs struggle with support and game spirit compared to non-HBCUs.  I went to a mostly white, large high school and we showed out .... we always had painted students, a student section, we had on our school colors, very loud, alumni at the game, just an overall live buzz.  But that was never matched when we played against Black or Hispanic schools.  They would be sorta live at times but it took way more ... just how it is. But I feel again that's changing, I think black sports fan want to prove the Atlanta Hawk owner wrong (whom I agree with but hey) lol
Very interesting comments.  You touched on some things I have been thinking about lately after observing how fanatical those Seattle Seahawk fans are.  There are many ways to look at lack of fan support issues, but I can honestly say I believe many fans at our alma mater believe that cheering and revelry makes little to no difference when it comes to how well our team plays.  I'm not quite sure how to get them to understand that it does.  Maybe our approach should be different.  In other words, instead hoping for a good student section maybe we should look at developing a rowdy fan section, and make a proactive habit of inviting everyone to join the section, permanently, that shows the traits of being a rowdy fan once they are identified during games.  After a period of time, maybe the others will catch on and then finally, perhaps, it will become a matter of habit.

Law Dawg said:
Very interesting comments.  You touched on some things I have been thinking about lately after observing how fanatical those Seattle Seahawk fans are.  There are many ways to look at lack of fan support issues, but I can honestly say I believe many fans at our alma mater believe that cheering and revelry makes little to no difference when it comes to how well our team plays.  I'm not quite sure how to get them to understand that it does.  Maybe our approach should be different.  In other words, instead hoping for a good student section maybe we should look at developing a rowdy fan section, and make a proactive habit of inviting everyone to join the section, permanently, that shows the traits of being a rowdy fan once they are identified during games.  After a period of time, maybe the others will catch on and then finally, perhaps, it will become a matter of habit.

Personally, I think consistently winning is the key to remedy the support for us but like I said I see great progress in expediting a larger support system and I definitely had fun at the Labor Day Classic .... I was amongst a sea of Maroon & Grey but that game has the potential to be so much more, like at least 35K in my opinion.  It was like 20K this year.

Progress with ....

- Live stream of football games
- More and better quality TSU merchandise (I even seen pictures of TSU gear at a major athletic store, I never see that until this year)
- High profile new classics (Bahamas trip)
- Alumni giving has increase by a double digit percentage this year
- I see shuttle services to & fro games
- Men SWAC tourney champs
- Men's team have multiple scheduled televised games for bball
- Tigerfans.net
- Social media

TXSUDFWTIGER said:
Personally, I think consistently winning is the key to remedy the support for us but like I said I see great progress in expediting a larger support system and I definitely had fun at the Labor Day Classic .... I was amongst a sea of Maroon & Grey but that game has the potential to be so much more, like at least 35K in my opinion.  It was like 20K this year.

Progress with ....

- More and better quality TSU merchandise (I even seen pictures of TSU gear at a major athletic store, I never see that until this year)
- Tigerfans.net
- Social media
Without question things are improving, and winning on a consistent basis will pay huge dividends for us.

Law Dawg said:
Without question things are improving, and winning on a consistent basis will pay huge dividends for us.

instead hoping for a good student section maybe we should look at developing a rowdy fan section
THIS! RIGHT! HERE! We have multiple cliques of rowdy fans... it's time to get us together, young & young-at-heart to be the driving force. 2LAC, UPC, etc...

TXSUDFWTIGER said:

Progress with ....

- Tigerfans.net
- Social media
Definitely great progress... gotta keep pushing that envelope. We are in the 4th largest city in the nation. Yes, we have to compete with (many) local alternatives and entertainment. Yes, we must get more local products to help bring their friends out to become new TSU supporters/ & fans!

Law Dawg said:

Yes sir, everyones wants to be affiliated with a Winner.  For example, I read online somewhere that the Cleveland Cavaliers sales went through the roof once Lebron re-joined.  The true definition of band wagon fans which most fans are in my humble opinion lol

And thanks for the shout out, I just finished listening to part 2.  Everyone was well-spoken, I was entertained (you're a funny guy), and it definitely reminded me of how I made one of the best decisions in my early adult life to become part of the TSU Community.  I had several full academic scholarship offers to other universities across this country but strangely enough I couldn't get TSU out my head .... had to been God b/c TSU surely "put me on" more than any of those other universities likely would've.

Y'all did an excellent job on the show! Thanks for posting the youtube videos - can y'all post it to the facebook TSU pages?

TSUalum05 said:
Y'all did an excellent job on the show! Thanks for posting the youtube videos - can y'all post it to the facebook TSU pages?

I'll do that later today!

Back