Texas Southern @ TCU Preview [12/29/2013] [Men's Basketball]

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
Preview courtesy TCU Athletics:
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]FORT WORTH, Texas - TCU will put the finishing touches on its non-conference schedule Sunday against Texas Southern at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. The Horned Frogs' contest against the Tigers will tip at 1:00 p.m. CT and be shown live on FOX Sports Southwest with Brian Estridge (Play-By-Play) and John Denton (Color) calling the action live.  
[/font]

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fans not able to attend the contest against Texas Southern can follow it live on FrogVision. The radio broadcast is available by going to the men's basketball schedule and clicking on the listen live icon located on the right side of the page. Jeff Williams (Play-By-Play) and Herb Stephens (Color) will be on the airwaves.[/font]
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
The Opponent
Texas Southern comes into the DMC boasting a 4-7 overall record after defeating Temple in its last outing, 90-89. West Virginia transfer Aaric Murray led the Tigers, scoring a game-high 48 points on 20-of-28 from the field, which are the most points scored in a single-game in the NCAA this season. For his efforts, Murray was named the Lute Olson National Player of the Week.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]On the season, Texas Southern, who has won two out its last four, has been led by Murray who is averaging 24.5 points per game and 7.0 rebounds. Jose Rodriguez has also been solid, scoring 14.3 points per contest, while grabbing 6.4 boards a game.   [/font]
The Series
The Horned Frogs and Tigers will be meeting on the hardwood for only the third time in program history Sunday. The series is currently tied at 1-1 and the two Texas schools haven't met since the 2007-08 season. TCU won the last outing in Fort Worth, 83-59.[/font]

The Final Chapter
Since the 2006-07 season, TCU is 4-3 overall in its final non-conference game. The Frogs' only losses during that stretch came to SMU (2011), Rice (2010) and Texas (2007). In all, the Frogs are averaging 66.7 points per game in the seven contests.[/font]

Non-Conference Success
TCU posted a 9-4 mark in non-conference play a year ago and will look to capture its ninth non-conference win Sunday against Texas Southern. The Horned Frogs' .692 final non-conference winning percentage in 2012 marked their best figure since going 10-4 (.714) in 2004-05. TCU, who is 4-1 at home this season, went 7-2 in non-conference at the DMC a year ago. TCU has finished with a winning non-conference record each season since 2005-06.[/font]

He's Heating Up
Junior Kyan Anderson has started to heat up, scoring back-to-back games of 27 and 25 points, respectively. On Sunday, Anderson will look to duplicate the success he had midway through the non-conference schedule last winter. Against the likes of UAB, Houston and Southern Utah, the Fort Worth native posted games of 35, 21 and 20 points, respectively.  With his back-to-back outings, the Fort Worth native has now scored 20 or more points nine times in his career. [/font]

In the last five outings, he is averaging 20.8 points, while shooting 53.4 percent from the floor and 87.5 percent from the line.[/font]

Climbing The Mountain
TCU has won four-straight games heading into its game against Texas Southern. The Horned Frogs won three in-a-row last season to end the month of December. Since 2000, the Purple and White's longest winning streak is six games, which came during the 2008-09 campaign. TCU's longest winning streak in school history is 16 games, which happened during the 1997-98 season.[/font]

What's Coming
A quick glance at the national polls show that TCU's schedule is about to get a lot more difficult as six conference foes are currently ranked or receiving votes in both polls. The Big 12 also boasts the No. 1 RPI among all conferences and has posted a 91-24 non-conference mark this season, which include eight victories over top 25 non-conference opponents. [/font]

TCU Headlines
• TCU is 14-1 when leading at the half under head coach Trent Johnson
• TCU is 6-0 this season when leading at the half.
• TCU is 4-0 this season when Karviar Shepherd grabs double-digit rebounds.
• TCU shot a season-high 87 percent from the charity stripe in its last outing against Tulsa
• The Horned Frogs have won four-straight heading into Sunday. 
• TCU has won eight out of its last nine games.
• Kyan Anderson posted his second-straight game of 20 or more points in his last outing. 
• Anderson has now scored in double-figures in five-straight games.
• Anderson recorded his ninth 20-point game of his career against Tulsa.
• Anderson posted his 38th game of double-figure scoring versus Tulsa.
• Brandon Parrish scored a career-high 17 points against Tulsa.
• Parrish also collected new career-highs in rebounds (6) and field goal attempts (13).
• Jarvis Ray recorded a career-high nine rebounds in his last outing.
• Thomas Montigel logged a season-high 20 minutes against Tulsa.[/font]

Common Trends
TCU goes into Sunday having won eight out its last nine games. During that stretch, the Frogs have posted 10 or more assists in seven of the nine games. The only two games in which the Purple and White haven't shared the rock over 10 times came in their loss to Harvard (8) and at Mississippi State (7). [/font]

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]TCU has held all but two opponents to 71 points or less, including six foes to 65 points or fewer. The Horned Frogs have also allowed only Longwood to shoot over 50 percent, holding the last three opponents to below 39 percent.[/font]
The Return
TCU is in the midst of a six-game homestand at the friendly confines of Daniel-Meyer Coliseum and won't return to the road until Saturday, Jan. 11 at Baylor.  [/font]

The Difference
In TCU's eight victories this season a trend has become noticeable in that the Frogs have held six out of the eight opponents to below 39.9 percent from the field. TCU is now 13-2 under head coach Trent Johnson when doing so. Tulsa shot 40 percent, while Mississippi State totaled 42.9 percent from the floor. [/font]

Up Next

TCU will open conference play at home against West Virginia on Saturday, Jan. 4. Tip-off is set for 3:00 p.m. CT from Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.[/font]

TUNE INTO THE GAME:

Radio:
KTSU-FM 90.9 Houston
KTCU-FM 88.7 Fort Worth

Live Stats:
TCU GameTracker

Game Notes:
GoFrogs.com (PDF)

TV/Video:
Fox Sports Southwest (Channel Finder)
MSG Plus (Channel Finder)

The game will be available on multiple Fox Sports regional networks, so check your local listings.

The game begins at 1pm!

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Go TIGERS!!!![/font]

Here's a stream that's showing the game in case you don't have access to a TV channel that's showing it:
http://firstrowus1.eu/watch/229951/1/watch-texas-southern-vs-tcu.html

FINAL:
TSU 64
TCU 77

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mbaskbl.html?event=1271657&school=tcu&sport=mbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Nelson pid=582 dateline=1388350713 said:
FINAL:
TSU 64
TCU 77

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mbaskbl.html?event=1271657&school=tcu&sport=mbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&
That weak stupid 3-2 zone needs to go!!!!! The big guy is not moving his feet fast enough and it's just not working overall ... man to man is always better. Mike I hope you or your staff read this, we're tired of that lame zone you have our boys in. 

The offense should've been centered 1st and foremost around getting Aaric open ... he's a proven scorer a/g a formidable opponent.  And all them missed 3s were not basketball intelligent .... 2 from 15 is beyond reasonable on this level.  They should know by now when they're on and when they're off, if you're off drive to the hole & get a higher percentage shot.  Not jacking up 3s praying they go in eventually, real 3 point shooters do it with ease and are consistent (i.e. Omar was a legit 3 point shooter).  Everybody else just gets lucky occasionally and shouldn't get no more than 2 wide open only attempts.

I'm starting to question if we're ready to run over the SWAC now.  Jackson State looks real good and might sweep the rug right from under us.  TCU wasn't all that, we clearly we're the better team to me.

Some articles about the game: 

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122913aac.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/29/bkc-texassouthern-texaschristian-recap-idUSMTZE9CTL6UZC520131229

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/recap-tcu-vs-texas-southern

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122913aaf.html

I wonder if Penn's foot injury kept him out of this game because I think I saw him in street clothes on the bench.

TXSUDFWTIGER pid=585 dateline=1388368120 said:
That weak stupid 3-2 zone needs to go!!!!! The big guy is not moving his feet fast enough and it's just not working overall ... man to man is always better. Mike I hope you or your staff read this, we're tired of that lame zone you have our boys in. 

The offense should've been centered 1st and foremost around getting Aaric open ... he's a proven scorer a/g a formidable opponent.  And all them missed 3s were not basketball intelligent .... 2 from 15 is beyond reasonable on this level.  They should know by now when they're on and when they're off, if you're off drive to the hole & get a higher percentage shot.  Not jacking up 3s praying they go in eventually, real 3 point shooters do it with ease and are consistent (i.e. Omar was a legit 3 point shooter).  Everybody else just gets lucky occasionally and shouldn't get no more than 2 wide open only attempts.

I'm starting to question if we're ready to run over the SWAC now.  Jackson State looks real good and might sweep the rug right from under us.  TCU wasn't all that, we clearly we're the better team to me.

Looks like they're running a 2-3 zone with a double team on the active ball player. It's not any one players fault in my opinion, but the team is not communicating where there is an open guy. I see some of the guys directing the others where to go physically instead of verbally. They MUST TALK! The man to man has usually been better for us and it seems the players prefer it as they appear to play harder. We also seem to draw more fouls in man to man though. We also have some defensive weaknesses and I'm guessing that's the reason they stick to the zone.

Our offense... I totally agree and that's what's gotten us in trouble all year. To credit TCU though, they did play a sticky zone that forced us to shoot from outside instead of being able to penetrate inside. Murray was being double and triple teamed all game.

I think we'll be good for the SWAC... first contest is Saturday so we'll see!

Nelson pid=589 dateline=1388508686 said:
Looks like they're running a 2-3 zone with a double team on the active ball player. It's not any one players fault in my opinion, but the team is not communicating where there is an open guy. I see some of the guys directing the others where to go physically instead of verbally. They MUST TALK! The man to man has usually been better for us and it seems the players prefer it as they appear to play harder. We also seem to draw more fouls in man to man though. We also have some defensive weaknesses and I'm guessing that's the reason they stick to the zone.

Our offense... I totally agree and that's what's gotten us in trouble all year. To credit TCU though, they did play a sticky zone that forced us to shoot from outside instead of being able to penetrate inside. Murray was being double and triple teamed all game.

I think we'll be good for the SWAC... first contest is Saturday so we'll see!
It looked like a 3-2 since the big man was too high but again they're not communicating and moving their feet fast enough yet.  For this year squad, zone should only be ran for weak teams, I cringe every time I see it against quality opponents  ....man to man is still our best defensive strategy with the guys we got right now.

In regards to Murray, they just need to be more creative in getting him open. It's not impossible, he should touch the ball in 90% of the possessions.  And if he's being double/tripled teamed somebody is open ... so our offense should be constantly dropping buckets and be in the 70+ range each game. Mr. Murray will be double/tripled team every game going forward right Nelson lol

Now conference play is on the horizon, everybody should be definitely circling the Jackson State, Southern, and PV games (PV only cuz they're our in-state rival, they're not good).  Alcorn State and the rest (including PV) should be quick work, except possibly UAPB and Alabama St. ......

And Happy 2014 to my Maroon and Grey fam ... I pray God makes it a better one for all!!

A player of Murray's size 6-10 245 should be averaging double figures (10.0) in rebounding he is pulling down 7.0 boards a game that is something a point guard,small forward,shooting guard would be proud of.

Back