Houston trying to pry SWAC HQ from Birmingham

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
The city of Houston last week submitted an offer to the Southwestern Athletic Conference to move its headquarters there.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner told Fox 26 in Houston the city plans to relocate the conference to offices in downtown Houston. The SWAC headquarters is currently located at 2101 6th Ave N. in Birmingham, Alabama. The conference has called Birmingham home since 1999.

Read the rest: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/06/06/houston-trying-to-pry-conference-hq-from.html

The city of Houston last week submitted an offer to the Southwestern Athletic Conference to move its headquarters there.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner told Fox 26 in Houston the city plans to relocate the conference to offices in downtown Houston. The SWAC headquarters is currently located at 2101 6th Ave N. in Birmingham, Alabama. The conference has called Birmingham home since 1999.

Read the rest: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/06/06/houston-trying-to-pry-conference-hq-from.html

Would them moving to Houston give us any advantage? I can't think of any .....

Advantages on the court/field/etc. no, but I feel an Alabama or SWAC East slant in their reporting & social media posts. Maybe they'll finally unblock TigerFans on Twitter too. Might have to call up Mayor Turner for that one :)

Advantages on the court/field/etc. no, but I feel an Alabama or SWAC East slant in their reporting & social media posts. Maybe they'll finally unblock TigerFans on Twitter too. Might have to call up Mayor Turner for that one :)

I wouldn't waste my time with their twitter account ... there's other HBCU sport platforms to collaborate with or follow. Will TigerFans.net ever have a monthly or bi-weekly podcast?

I wouldn't waste my time with their twitter account ... there's other HBCU sport platforms to collaborate with or follow. Will TigerFans.net ever have a monthly or bi-weekly podcast?
This is/was in the plans but with me moving to Arizona, it might be harder to do from my end. @tsuball10 can collaborate with others in the Houston area though. If all else fails, we can get something going online too I'm sure.

This is/was in the plans but with me moving to Arizona, it might be harder to do from my end. @tsuball10 can collaborate with others in the Houston area though. If all else fails, we can get something going online too I'm sure.

Good deal, Arizona is a techy state so not surprised you're out there. How you like it?

I'm more inclined to listen to TF podcast than the weekly radio show which is super boring and lacks passion.

Good deal, Arizona is a techy state so not surprised you're out there. How you like it?

I'm more inclined to listen to TF podcast than the weekly radio show which is super boring and lacks passion.
I'd argue that AZ is less techy. That's reserved for the valley in California. Houston's got a lot more opportunity than Phoenix work the work I'm in. It might open the possibility for me to stake a flag in the ground and establish something out here though. I liked it a lot more when I got here in late February, but this summer heat has been no joke. 100+ almost every single day since June 1, with the highest being 120+ around Father's Day weekend. I'm not missing the rain dumping down in Houston though. I'm not a fan of cold weather, so I'll enjoy it way more when it's fall and winter here.

It's always been in the cards. I'd just like more active members in here. We've got a lot of lurkers. Gotta turn them into active members.

I'd argue that AZ is less techy. That's reserved for the valley in California. Houston's got a lot more opportunity than Phoenix work the work I'm in. It might open the possibility for me to stake a flag in the ground and establish something out here though. I liked it a lot more when I got here in late February, but this summer heat has been no joke. 100+ almost every single day since June 1, with the highest being 120+ around Father's Day weekend. I'm not missing the rain dumping down in Houston though. I'm not a fan of cold weather, so I'll enjoy it way more when it's fall and winter here.

It's always been in the cards. I'd just like more active members in here. We've got a lot of lurkers. Gotta turn them into active members.
I said Arizona is "techy" because the west coast is generally but I guess I'm wrong about AZ. My high school classmate graduated from U of Arizona in Tuscon, that's my only AZ connection and of course she didn't like living there as a black female who enjoys black culture and left right after graduation. And yes she complained about the weather but I remember her saying also the AZ people being friendly so that was the only positive from my interaction with her. But I think the cost of living is low too.

I do know of a couple Tigers who moved to AZ after graduation, especially Cali. so TSU is definitely out there (we everywhere honestly). Grambling has a big game in Tuscon next month and they're bringing a big bus of fans to AZ and many of the GSU alums in Cali will be there too (Cali has a big Grambling and TSU alumni base)

West coast needs to get it's alumni chapters set up then! I'd imagine LA being a popular spot for our alums. Yeah AZ is generally transplants and has a california feel to it, but I still wouldn't consider it techy. Black culture is missing here for sure. It's night and day versus Houston. Generally people are friendly here, but it's not Texan friendly. People will outright not make eye contact at you walking down the street a majority of the time. It's a keep to yourself type thing here. It's strange when I'm used to saying hi or nodding my head to everyone lol!

I might try and make that Grambling game in my TSU gear since Tucson is about 90 minutes away. Looks like it's the weekend after Labor Day!

Back to the TigerFans podcast idea though... @tsuball10 wanna chime in?

West coast needs to get it's alumni chapters set up then! I'd imagine LA being a popular spot for our alums. Yeah AZ is generally transplants and has a california feel to it, but I still wouldn't consider it techy. Black culture is missing here for sure. It's night and day versus Houston. Generally people are friendly here, but it's not Texan friendly. People will outright not make eye contact at you walking down the street a majority of the time. It's a keep to yourself type thing here. It's strange when I'm used to saying hi or nodding my head to everyone lol!

I might try and make that Grambling game in my TSU gear since Tucson is about 90 minutes away. Looks like it's the weekend after Labor Day!

Back to the TigerFans podcast idea though... @tsuball10 wanna chime in?
Well that explains why she was so lonely and called me 24/7 to keep her company or did a lot by herself (movies, out to eat, shopping etc). She moved to AZ because she wanted to get out of our small city and brag about going to a "prestigious" flagship school. But she graduated (B.A. in Journalism) with over 60,000 in loans and works as a manager of servers at a restaurant and little 'ole me who went to a school she laughed at is making more and about to receive my second degree with significantly less debt. It's not where you go, it's what you do while you there and I positioned myself to be successful before leaving TSU (honors grad, honors college student, great internship, etc). And it's never worth getting in major debt for a liberal arts degree ... STEM (which is my program now) yes

TSU and GSU had a pretty active alumni chapter in L.A., maybe it changed. The one in Dallas is pretty active but I don't participate for a few reasons but of course i give and informally recruit for TSU ... I'm a bit of a lone ranger and love it. I consistently talk to only about 2 alums in Dallas

Again the podcast sounds good. You all are doing good, not sure why there's not more active users yet. But most sites have more lurkers than active users. Haywood isn't a charismatic coach so I'm already dreading the weekly football show in the fall. But I will be definitely watching the full press conference on Friday ... make sure to leave work early just for that. For some reason I'm really anticipating the chat ... I guess I don't feel like I know him well enough.

Last edited:
Back