16 New Tigers Set to Join the Football Program

Nelson

TigerFans Premium
[font=arial, sans-serif]Houston, TX-The Texas Southern Tigers football program signed twelve recruits to kick-off national signing day, with another four student-athletes already on campus and ready to go.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Texas Southern head coach Darrell Asberry says it's a great day to be a Tiger. Asberry says recruiting this season was great and the kids were more receptive to becoming a TSU Tiger.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]"We got all the kids that we went after," Asberry said. "This is the first time we had four or five 2-star players to sign with us."[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]TSU signed six defensive and six offensive players...half of those are lineman. The mid-year signees include a defense tackle, linebacker, long snapper and offensive lineman.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Four of the new Tigers are from Texas; two are from the Houston area including offensive lineman Kaelin Cooksey from Manville High School.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]"We were attracted to Cooksey because of his size and his sound fundamentals," Asberry said. "He brings a lot to the table since he was well coached and he can play the guard and tackle positions."[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Asberry says Sikiru Asifatu is a Houston kid who played linebacker in junior college and brings experience and athleticism to the team.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]"We believe we got something special when you add the 2014 class to the two classes we already signed," Asberry said. "The coaches did an exceptional job recruiting and the future looks a lot brighter for the Tigers."[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]2014 Recruit Details[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Name Pos Ht Wt Cl Hometown (Previous School)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Keyshawn Parrish DT 6-2 290 Fr Lithonia, GA (MLK HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Parrish is a Rivals 2 star athlete. His versatility and abilities allows him to dominate on both sides of the ball. He has a natural feel for defense but he sacrificed for his team and played offense as well. Parrish was ranked 7[/font][sup][font=arial, sans-serif]th[/font][/sup][font=arial, sans-serif] in the offensive guard position and 96[/font][sup][font=arial, sans-serif]th[/font][/sup][font=arial, sans-serif] among the top 100 high school seniors in Georgia. His honors include 2013 Preseason first team 5-A All-State (GA) and 3[/font][sup][font=arial, sans-serif]rd[/font][/sup][font=arial, sans-serif] team Offense All-Georgia. He was recruited by Eastern Michigan, University of South Alabama and Georgia State.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Parrish HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Caleb Jenkins DT 6-1 300 Fr Clemmons, NC (Mt. Tabor HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Jenkins is very strong and agile. He will help the interior of TSU defense.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Jenkins HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Darius Stapleton DE 6-1 250 Fr Union, NJ (Milford Academy)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Stapleton is big, strong and has good hands to create separation and get off blocks. He is quick off the ball and has the speed to get in the back field.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Stapleton HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Travis Hutchinson LB 6-0 220 Fr Jacksonville, FL (Atlantic Coast HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Hutchinson is a physical and explosive player who has a high football IQ. He has played inside and outside linebacker. As a senior, he had 145 tackles, 128 assists, 10 sacks, 8 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 interceptions, 4 blocked kicks and 1 touchdown. He was recruited by Idaho.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Hutchinson HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Archie Rice DB 6-0 190 Fr Avondale, AZ (Riverview HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Rice is a very physical defensive back who can also play safety. He is big and athletic and he has played wide receiver and quarterback. He has a high football IQ.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Rice HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Willie Hobdy DB 6-1 185 Fr Garland, TX (North Garland HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Hobdy is a 2 star athlete from Texas. He is athletic and very physical. He has good range and plays big on the field.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Hobdy HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Jahlil Mathis-Ellis OL 6-3 315 Fr Fairburn, GA (Langston Hughes HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Mathis-Ellis is a Rivals 2 star athlete. He is physical and can play every position on the offensive line. He was recruited by University of South Alabama, Georgia State and Savannah State.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Mathis-Ellis HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Terrence Williams OL 6-3 320 SO Rosedale, MS (Coahoma CC)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Williams is a versatile lineman who can play multiple positions. He is strong, athletic and aggressive in the pass set. He brings a lot of experience and leadership to the offensive line.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Williams HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Kaelin Cooksey OL 6-3 320 Fr Manville, TX (Manville HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Cooksey plays guard but can also fill the tackle position. He has good size and he's strong and aggressive. He comes from a program with a winning tradition.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Cooksey HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]CJ Eddison RB 5-10 190 Fr Odessa, TX (Odessa HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Eddison is a very versatile running back with good speed and good hands. He is a double threat out of the back field. He has a high football IQ. As a senior, he rushed for 1836 yards and 25 touchdowns. His honors include State (Texas) Player of the Week and 2-time West Texas MVP.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Eddison HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Joe Robinson WR 6-5 195 Fr Aliceville, AL (Aliceville HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Robinson is a big receiver who is athletic with speed to stretch the field. As a senior, he had 47 catches for 873 yards and 11 touchdowns. He averaged 19 yards per reception. In 2013, Robinson was All-State. In 2012 & 2013, he was All-Region and All-Area in West Alabama and Tuscaloosa. He was recruited by Alabama A&M.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Robinson HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Trayvion Harris WR 6-4 200 Fr Plain Dealing, LA (Plain Dealing HS)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Harris is a big and explosive receiver with good speed. He has good hands and has to ability to make positive yards after the catch. As a senior, he had 70 catches for 1150 yards and 11 touchdowns. He had an additional four touchdowns by rushing, catching, a kick-off return and an interception. His honors include First team All-State Wide Receiver, First team All-Parish Defensive Back, Second team All Parish Wide Receiver and First team All-District Wide Receiver.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Harris HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]MID YEAR SIGNEE[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Derrick Lyles DT 6-1 280 SO Wesson, MS (Mississippi Gulf Coast JC) [/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Lyles is very physical and strong. He will anchor the middle of the Tigers' defense.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Lyles HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Sikiru Asifatu LB 6-1 225 SO Houston, TX (College of Desert JC)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Asifatu was a mid-year signee from College of Desert Junior College. He is an athlete who brings experience to a young and talent linebacker pool. He is also versatile with the ability to play inside or outside. He was recruited by South Dakota State.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Asifatu HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Terry Smith LS 5-6 240 JR Port Gibson, MS (Copiah Lincoln JC)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Smith fills an important void with the Tigers' special teams. As a long snapper, he has a quick release and he is extremely accurate.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Smith HUDL[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Jaime Gleaton OL 6-4 320 JR Leesville ,SC (San Jose JC)[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Gleaton is a very big and agile offensive lineman. He is aggressive and has great pass set. He can play the tackle and guard positions on both sides.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Gleaton HUDL[/font]

I see you guys paid a visit to my backyard (NJ) again

Are you guys finished with recruiting I think you might need a QB???

dal4018 pid=683 dateline=1391658842 said:

Yup

We had like 10 on the roster last year... we don't need anymore QB. The OL line recruting is good because that was our main weakness last year. We won't put up yards if we can't protect the yard of scrimmage.

dal4018 pid=683 dateline=1391658842 said:

I think we do need a new QB and like you I'm surprised there isn't a College transfer and Freshman QB on the list.

The coaching staff is already starting the 2014 season on shaky grounds in my eyes.

We've gotta give some of our QBs some slack... very few QBs could make good plays in that backfield we had this past season. You see it in the NFL as well, for example Case Keenum. He does great with an offensive live that can block, but once he was blitzed, he panicked and there is his weakness: thinking quickly with 4 guys running straight towards you unblocked.

We have our Spring Game back this year and a pretty good class coming in with 2 new All-State WRs with length. I think we should wait and see before we come to conclusions about needing more QBs.

1. Yeah you guys have a promising QBs in Jay Christophe 6-4 210 and Jamal Small 6-3 220 from my backyard NJ.Hey has anyone from the NFL paid attention to Kenneth Davis OT 6-6 330 from my backyard of Plainfield!!!

dal4018 pid=778 dateline=1394220614 said:
Nelson what is the date for TSUs pro day workouts for NFL????

The Texas Southern University Pro Day 2014 is scheduled for Monday, March 17
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24458767/nfl-draft-pro-day-schedule-results-and-analysis

Nelson are their any future Joe Anderson among your WR core or Derricus Purdy's in the DB backfield maybe Michael Holmes???

The squad we have returning is a good squad... and we added a few guys with great ability. Be on the lookout soon.

Okay thanks did you see this Nelson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXuV9jdW1gs&feature=youtube_gdata_player this guy is D1 hoops athletic material that slipped threw the cracks imagine him at TSU playing for Mike Davis?????

He's in the NAIA currently ... he transferred down from the NCAA Div II school Northwestern Oklahoma State... I doubt he'd have the overall abilities.

Yes I know Southeast Christian University  hey Scottie Pippen,Dennis Rodman came from the NAIA ranks look at them!!! We will never know now he is a senior.Maybe he was not getting playing time shocking to me after seeing him win this dunk contest.

Some new updates via LAW DAWG at TSPN:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Two more running backs will be in uniform this fall.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]RB Cameron Everett[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] (walk-on, probably a gray shirt)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]High School Footage[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1079577/highlights/88205378[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]RB Jimmy Potepa[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] (transfer from Ole Miss, honor roll student - probably on academic scholarship, loves the gym)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]High School Footage
[youtube]dYocPxavzK8[/youtube]

[/font]
Work-out Footage
[youtube]-qjyGVKChDA[/youtube]

Back